Author Topic: Rabbit Handle Claw Foot Planter  (Read 2318 times)

KevinM

• View Profile
Rabbit Handle Claw Foot Planter
« on: March 04, 2015, 11:13:23 am »
I purchased this old Rabbit Handle Claw Foot Planter yesterday at the TS and have searched the web without success in finding info on it.

The planter is about 10 1/2" high and about 10 1/2" wide and heavy. I think it's made of copper and brass and or bronze and is hand hammered. There are no maker or ID marks on the planter.

I'm thinking it's perhaps from the UK because of the rabbits and maybe made in the mid or early 1900's.

Does anyone know where this planter was made, when or what time period it was made and who may have made it?

Thanks!
Kevin

" width="644" height="2266" border="0

« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 11:24:06 am by KevinM »

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
Re: Rabbit Handle Claw Foot Planter
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2015, 08:47:00 am »
The UK would be a good guess. I have a little lamp with hammering and very similar applied feet that is from the 30s or 40s by the wiring. Stuff like this is always difficult. I do like it. My wife would like it around Easter to add to her ridiculously large bunny collection.

thecatjh

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2015, 10:35:15 am »
I would say it could be from India - they made a lot of these hammered planters etc to remind the English of home when they were over there 20's-40's date range poss. Either way its a nice piece and very collectable. Being in the UK myself I would say that it would go down well here with the Animal enthusiasts.
This is only my opinion and being from UK I am not sure what that opinion means lol  ;)

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2015, 11:54:43 am »
I agree with both !! The hare or rabbit was very popular in the UK !!  Wasn`t there a story going around about the Fox and the Hare ??

KevinM

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2015, 08:51:51 pm »
Thanks frogpatch, thecatjh and mart! Mart, I'm not sure of what stories were going around... Oh, mart, btw, got this planter for a scream! ;) There was an old fake plant in it at the store sorta hiding what it was.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2015, 09:27:32 pm »
 ;D  I took one look and figured that out on my own !!  Like I said,, you have got to be the luckiest person in town !!   But,,,I am glad for you !!  Just keep posting the pics and making the rest of us look like losers !!

KevinM

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2015, 09:35:01 pm »
Mart, I'm just very diversified. You are all Winners in my book!

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2015, 10:05:16 am »
Mart, are you thinking of Peter Rabbit by Beatrix Potter. He and his sisters, Flopsy, Mopsy and Cottontail, first appeared in the early 1900s.
They are still going strong today.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2015, 10:50:40 am »
That's what I thought of as well.

Sure is a doggone cute piece!  :)
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!