Author Topic: Vintage furniture accessories  (Read 3018 times)

debodun

• View Profile
Vintage furniture accessories
« on: March 10, 2015, 10:03:00 am »
I discovered a cache of embroidered and lace antimacassars and a lace tablecloth. I'd planned on putting them out at my estate sale this year, but I have no idea what would be reasonable prices to ask. Photo caption have the dimensions and the number of pieces in each set. Help! Thanks.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 11:10:03 am by debodun »

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: Vintage furniture accessories
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2015, 12:39:56 pm »
Oh the name of these!!!  Most people don't know the proper name of antimacassar for this and I will take the time to explain!  Back in late 18th Century and 19th Century it was the "in" thing to oil ones hair with macassar oil.  You can see how this could "soil" or ruin upholstery (as well as clothing).  So cloths were put on the head and arm areas of upholstery to preserve them and the small cloths could be laundered regularly.  They eventually became known as antimacassars.

In my area the prices for these are going for:

FINE lace armrest covers only  $8 - $12

Your tablecloth (if in great condition) $20 - $30

The embroidered antimacassars  3 piece  $12 - $18
and larger set would go for $18 - $24

Unfortunately/fortunately crafters are acquiring them to make into quilts, purses, aprons, etc.

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

debodun

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2015, 07:28:50 am »
They are probably too old fashioned for modern furniture. I may have trouble selling them, unless, like you mentioned, it is to a crafter. When is the last time you remember seeing them in people's houses? I also found this one that has an unusual crucifixion scene, unfortunately it is stained and has a small area of raveling, so I am not putting this out for sale. I actually remember my mom using this one on this chair in the front parlor.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 05:30:37 am by debodun »

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2015, 01:29:21 pm »
I do agree that they are too "old fashioned" for modern furniture...but just like you, I and all the others are on this forum - there are many that like to embrace styles from the past.  I know in the Southern US there are MANY homes that still embrace this style.

How sweet that you have endearing memories of your mom using this!!!!  I have several items like this and hold on to them - even if not using them because just pulling them out brings lots of happiness to me/my family.

You may want to clean that piece.  Not sure what kind of linen friendly detergent/wash you have in your area but Orvis makes a gentle rinse.  DO NOT USE CHLORINE BLEACH!!!!  Whatever you use put a firm cloth in the bottom of a large container and add the warm water/detergent (properly mix/dissolve detergent in a bo2l or covered jar and then pour in.  Put your delicate piece on top of the cloth and let soak at least 45 minute to a hour.  Gently pour out soapy water and then run with water till water is clear in bowl.  To remove lift it out using the firm cloth (or you will stretch the lace/linen pieces.)  Gently place on a towel and roll to squeeze out the water.  Gently adjust piece to proper shape to air dry.  (If it isn't totally clean this make take several soaks before drying!)  Best of luck!

Religious pieces are very collectible.  I am trying to figure out what the lettering is above Christ on the cross.  Can you make it out?
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Pelady

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2015, 03:43:25 pm »
I have a box of these in my attic too.  My grandmother used them in her house.

I N R I

. ” Today, many times when the cross of Jesus is displayed, the letters INRI are placed on the sign above the cross. In Latin, the text “JESUS OF NAZARETH, THE KING OF THE JEWS” would have been written, “Iesus Nazarenus Rex Iudaeoru

Read more: http://www.gotquestions.org/INRI.html#ixzz3U7Ed0XnN

PeLady
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 03:45:15 pm by Pelady »
Plymouth, America's Home Town.

sugarcube5419

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2015, 05:01:56 am »
KC-you are a day late for me--I used bleach on an item that was hand made-piece had a bad stain-please tell me why to not use bleach next time?  Breaks down the fabric?

debodun

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2015, 01:33:26 pm »
I also have these doilies that depict cats that I am not selling since I collect cat things.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2015, 11:34:02 pm »
Yes Sugarcube5419, bleach breaks down/wears down/weakens the materials and I have even seen items start fraying/shredding that people bleached.  Even if you don't see it immediately, it will show over time.