Author Topic: I am experimenting and maybe it will work,,,!!  (Read 1412 times)

mart

• View Profile
I am experimenting and maybe it will work,,,!!
« on: March 19, 2015, 09:53:36 am »
Well, after the problems with the computer I am about going nuts trying to figure this out !!  What Cogar posted sounded identical to the problem I was having !! So checked the phone and no noise or static so that's out,, still could not connect for more than 30 seconds at a time even though the computer said I was connected,,went through so many restarts I though that was my name !! Then I remembered the wireless router I had bought and dug it out of the drawer !! Hooked it up to the electric and left the computer as-is and here I am !!  Odd thing is the router is not connected to the computer,, only plugged into the serge protector the computer is connected to !!  My idea of what the problem is,,or was depending on how long this connection lasts,,possible weak modem and this is just giving it a boost !! 

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
Re: I am experimenting and maybe it will work,,,!!
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2015, 10:12:08 am »
You might need to update your modem to a newer version.
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2015, 11:45:33 am »
Doesn't a wireless router have its own built-in modem?

And with that wireless router now connected .... you can request a new Laptop or Tablet for your birthday ..... and then set out under a shade tree to do your internetting.  ;D ;D

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2015, 06:22:16 pm »
What with the state of your dial-up , I'll suggest that you might check with your ISP to see if  there are multiple ph. access #'s & try a diff one or two (when you get slow-to-no internet service) .
You can also have them 'ping' your modem to see if it's A-O.K. on their end .
Most of the dial-up around here is boggy & sloggy , esp during high-traffic times & that's just the way it is .

Still like cogars' suggestion better ... but there ain't no wireless up in them thar hills , is there mart ?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 06:23:53 pm by fancypants »
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2015, 07:36:14 pm »
I know mart may not be interested in change, but if she gets a tablet with connection already hooked up with the phone company she would have no problems. She would just have to buy the right minutes plan. Then get a wireless router then she's really in business! Mart, could take photos with the tablet and then use them directly. The eBay app makes things super easy. It would change your high tech world! ;D
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2015, 02:08:22 pm »
Well. am on my 100 year old computer at present !! This is the first time it has connected !!  The problem is with the phone lines !!  I called AT&T yesterday and they confirmed that there are line problems !! They did something to them this morning from their office but still same problem with the newer computer !! They can`t get out to do the repair till the 27th so may have to use this one a while !! Its outdated (Windows98) but at least connected !! Don`t know how long it will last though !! 
Yes I know about the tablets ect but they are so small I can`t see them well enough even with cheaters !!   The other computer will let me read sometimes but not post and it says I am online but error message says I am not connected !!  Wierd !!