Author Topic: Mahjong Set  (Read 2172 times)

Vwdoyle

• View Profile
Mahjong Set
« on: April 05, 2015, 09:17:57 am »

Hi Guys!

Is there anyone familiar with these sets that could determine an approximate age and/or value.  In my research I have found them ranging from $20-$1,000 and they all look very similar.  I'm not sure if the tile holders are from the same set.  To me they look newer.  Any help would be great.

Thank you!

Vwdoyle

• View Profile
Re: Mahjong Set
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2015, 09:18:48 am »
More pics

jerryk

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2015, 10:48:57 am »
Nice set, Im no expert but i found a set with lesser character then yours , as i recall the numbered sticks were made of bone and it  sold for over 300 at auction, 1920's period. If you have the count sticks and the original dice that helps in my opinion. If the tiles are solid and no wood in the center of the tiles with a dove tail i would say they are newer? perhaps  i'll be corrected on this by someone in the forum

Vwdoyle

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2015, 12:09:07 pm »
Thanks Jerry!

I do have the counting sticks and dice with the set.  The tiles are dovetailed with bamboo and I'm guessing bone.  Do you think the holders are part of the same set? 

jerryk

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2015, 12:26:04 pm »
I cant say if the holders are original again no expert , but if they fit like a glove in the box i would say they are and they look solid and color looks to match . You have a nice set really , again much more detail then what i had when i sold them online. The set i had was fairly simple in comparison to yours just a solid box with drawers no writing or markings. I think you would get a nice sale on those, ebay or other channels. 

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2015, 11:51:55 am »
I can help with this. I have a very similar set and did a little research on it. These box sets are the oldest of the Mahjong sets and date to about the 1920s. Some are more rare than others depending upon the rarity of the designs on the tiles and such. Yours has a fancier design on the drawers than I have seen before. Your set is made for the American market. You can tell this because it includes numbers and not just the Chinese characters on the tiles. If you look at the manual, you might find a copyright date that will give you a more precise age. For more information contact the owner of Sloperama.com. He's very nice and helpful if you email him with questions. There is a lot of great information on his page. Look through it first then contact him with any questions you still have.
http://www.sloperama.com/mjfaq.html
Antiqueaholic in recovery

Vwdoyle

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2015, 04:47:03 pm »
Thank you both very much!