Author Topic: Inherited canes and sword  (Read 1391 times)

LivingElemental

• View Profile
Inherited canes and sword
« on: April 25, 2015, 10:42:49 am »
I received some old canes and an old sword from my mother's landlady, who wanted to get rid of her ex husband's things. I honestly, while I love antiques, have no idea where to begin getting things like this identified, so I apologize if I'm bending any rules by turning here first. I have no intention of selling these items, I'd just like to pick the brains of the community concerning origin, worth, etc.

Cane 1: What looks like ivory or bone handle and bottom cap, silver border between wood and handle that reads "DH James"
Cane 2: Woman's cane, handle appears to be gold with a tiny tiny boxy looking stamp that I can't make out (maybe cresswick). Wood appears to possibly be cherry wood?
Cane 3: Not really sure what the handle is made of; possibly ivory, bone, and is of a cat playing with a ball of yarn. No indication of manufacturer, but it seems to be newer than the rest of them.
Cane 4: Silver handle that reads "BF Kelley" on the side, and "From Prof. Leonard" on the front. Silver mark looks like a mitsubishi logo. Also has S in a shield, and a number 7.
Cane 5: Silver handle reading "to G. W. Hamilton from Grand Jury Sept. 24th 1886." Maker's mark is a fancy S in a shield with a 2 above it. Maybe WS Savage or Otley and sons?
Cane 6: Silver handle with just "D" inscribed on it. Silver mark is 2 in a circle, an A, and the number 50.
Cane 7: Appears to be ivory, handle reads, "Samuel Allen Dec. 25. 1854" No maker's mark.
Cane 8: Handle seems to be ivory with very tarnished silver wrapping and studs, border just says "sterling". Shaft is bamboo.
Cane 9: Silver handle with either "CBW" or "CKW". Border just says "sterling"
Sword: Research just shows it's a traditional design of the Philippines. Worn, and blade has notches of apparent use. Not sure if it's old enough to have been used in fighting, or if some wise ass decided to spar with it.

Didn't want to overload the thread with pictures, so I just posted the links.

Thank you for your help.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 12:47:27 pm by LivingElemental »

mart

• View Profile
Re: Inherited canes and sword
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2015, 02:32:57 pm »
Some canes can bring good money !!  Can we break this post down and do say two at a time ?? It really gets confusing with so many !! With the two per post you will get a better idea of what they are !!

LivingElemental

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2015, 11:10:47 am »
Okay, I'll get on editing this and breaking it down later today. Thanks :)

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2015, 11:37:03 am »
Excellent !!  They all look nice but we want to give the best information we can on each one !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2015, 09:20:14 pm »
Thanks!  That would help you alot as well as help those trying to help you!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!