Author Topic: Fermentation Pot?  (Read 1647 times)

Pale Rider

• View Profile
Fermentation Pot?
« on: April 30, 2015, 10:51:58 pm »
I think I have acquired an antique or vintage fermentation pot. But I am not sure. Is it a fermentation pot or what else is it please?
What was it used for iyo. What do you think its made of please? What is it worth?

The pot is about 8 inches in diameter without the lid and 6 inches high from the rim to the bottom of the pot.

ty
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 10:53:49 pm by Pale Rider »

mart

• View Profile
Re: Fermentation Pot?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2015, 07:54:16 am »
I would not think a fermentation pot of any kind because with the center tube this appears meant to be heated !!  Heat is not necessary for fermentation and I think it would kill the bacteria necessary for that process !!  Kind of small pot to be fermenting anything !! Usually fermented foods are made in large batches because of the time involved !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2015, 10:52:48 am »
I have seen this over the years in clay cookers/pottery.  This piece can be used as a bundt pan for cakes or for stews, etc.  It is made to work on the concept that it gets the heat to the center of the pot so that all contents cooks quickly/evenly at the same temperature.  In regular pots/pans they heat from the outside and slowly heat towards the center so that all isn't cooked as evenly.

Nice piece!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2015, 12:37:21 pm »
I figured you would know this one KC !!  I sure didn`t !!

Pale Rider

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2015, 07:15:59 pm »
ty KC and Mart for the help.

Here is the back story.

My wife went to a city-wide garage sale extravaganza. At one one of the stops, there was a sale that had mostly antiques/ vintage items. I could tell this person was either an antique dealer, an auction goer, or both.

Anyone, this pot was resting on a table with a $5.00 price tag on it. I opened the lid an noticed the inside. I thought it was a bundt pot, but had never seen one like that...So I thought I was wrong...I called my wife over to come look at it to see what she thought. That attracted the attention of the person who was running the sale.

The owner had wondered and asked us what it could be. My wife stated it was a fermentation pot and seemed quite sure. Sounded good to me. The woman thanked and told us she had bought it as part of a box lot at an auction and did not know what it could be.

I offered $3.00 and she accepted....

Now my next questions.

Is it made of clay? Stoneware? Or it just pottery?   ty

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2015, 07:29:12 pm »
You have glazed pottery.

If you search "Glazed pottery bundt cake dish with lid" or "Glazed pottery pound cake dish with lid" you will see quite a few.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!