Author Topic: Age and Value of Antique Settee Tufted Leather, Nailhead Trim, Lionhead Arms  (Read 1566 times)

WorkInProgress

• View Profile
Hello Everyone,

I am new to this forum and was hoping someone may be able to help me learn a little more about an item I have.  I have searched the internet, and have not been able to find anything similiar.  Perhaps I just do not know what I am looking for.  The piece is an antique settee we purchased about 10 years ago.  It has tufted leather on the seat back, nailhead trim, carved lionhead arms, and a carved scroll design on the seat back.  No markings are evident.  The fabric appears to be age appropriate, but I am not sure if it has been reappolstered.  I believe it is in decent shape for the age.  One of the arms had been repaired at some point, and there are a few small tears/rips in the fabric.  I brought pictures to a local antique dealer, and he believes it is early 19th century, but that was about all he could tell me, as he specializes in pre-1840 items. No other resources in my area.  I am considering selling the piece, as we just don't have a spot for it in our new home.  I hate to see it sit in storage.  Any information would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks so much! 

mart

• View Profile
Hi there and welcome to the forum !!  Can you tell me what the upholstery is made of ??  Looks like a vinyl !!   

WorkInProgress

• View Profile
Thank you mart for the reply.  I believed the upholstery was leather, however, it may be vinyl.  After looking at it more closely, the seat upholstery does appear as if it may be different than the chair back, but I'm just not sure!  The chair back defineatly looks like leather to me as it has browned in the tufts etc. as leather does with age.  Does vinyl do this?  The seat appears a little smoother as vinyl might be, but they are the same shade.  It's hard for me to tell.  The back of the chair also is a different fabric, silky.  Sorry if this isn't any more help! 
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 08:40:50 am by WorkInProgress »

mart

• View Profile
May be leather !!  Hard to tell from pics !!  My opinion is that your American Empire style settee was more likely made between 1860 and 1900 !!  The Empire style continued to some degree even after 1900 but I do not think yours is that late in the period !!  The earlier Empire furniture during the Federal period was much more reserved and leaned toward the classical designs !! even though they did use some similar design elements like the paw feet and scrolls !! With the heavier carvings like the lions heads I am fairly sure yours was 1860 or after !!  Thats when pieces like yours were most common !!   

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
I can see a bit of color at the edges from the "stuffing".  Does it look like aged "cotton".  Most pieces from that time, if original, used horsehair and cotton batting.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
These pieces were part of parlor sets from around 1900, give or take ten years. The material looks like black oil cloth. Beneath should be horse hair or sometimes Spanish moss. Mart calls them Empire revival but I will go with my grandfather who referred to them as bastard furniture. In other words they had no real parents. The carving was very desirable in the 70s but has lost favor in the past three decades. Not with this old guy, but with the younger generation. Some of us appreciate the work that it took to carve and upholster.