Author Topic: Tin-lined copper tankard, brass handle  (Read 1714 times)

Bradley

• View Profile
Tin-lined copper tankard, brass handle
« on: May 18, 2015, 09:13:59 pm »
Age and origin of this vessel? I might call this the "ugly stray dog" of metal tankards, because I'm pretty sure only I would find its "survived a shipwreck" esthetic appealing. It is 5 inches tall and three inches across the base and the mouth. The base metal of the whole thing appears to have been copper coated with tin or silver. I am guessing tin. The brass handle is riveted on with what appear to be copper rivets.  The bottom seems to have been pinched/crimped on to the body of the vessel. And there seem to be quite a few of these in the antiques markets here in Savannah. Slightly different sizes and shapes, but certain features are consistently the same: same copper base metal, same fading coating (probably tin), a narrow curved brass handle, and a pinched-on/crimped-on bottom piece.

Are these features common to a particular era and/or region?

Also, there seems to have been a much more modern recent coating applied to the interior bottom of the piece. I would guess this was done to make usable without leaking.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 11:24:36 pm by Bradley »

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
Re: Tin-lined copper tankard, brass handle
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 08:41:47 am »
That is a piece that was made in Turkey to look like a relic. I was fooled by them early on. Here is another example. The key is that it is too crude. American and English metal workers were concerned with perfection in execution.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/112389857/vintage-copper-tankard-hand-wrought

Bradley

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2015, 10:12:02 am »
I guess the seller on that link was fooled too. They are convinced it is quite old. LOL

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2015, 10:38:24 am »
Watch out for pots with dovetailed seams and lots of dents. I paid a lot more for one once, than I should have.

Bradley

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2015, 11:02:22 am »
Been seeing those, especially the dovetailed seams. Wondered what they were about. It would be nice if there were a book (or site) on old fabrication methods, with a checklist of sorts to assess what era and area an item was made in.