Author Topic: Antique Turkish Tray - Ottoman?  (Read 1178 times)

Megan

• View Profile
    • Sublime stuFF™
Antique Turkish Tray - Ottoman?
« on: June 05, 2015, 02:54:38 pm »
Here is another piece I have been researching for quite a while.  What I know personally is only that a family member acquired this in Turkey (as is) in (roughly) the 60's. 

This is a large tray 11.5".  For obvious reasons I think it's quite old and then in researching it seems to resemble Ottoman pieces.  The problem is...what are real Ottoman pieces.  I would think genuine Ottoman pieces might be difficult to find but I think there are a lot of pieces listed as Ottoman that are not really Ottoman.  In any event, that has made this one even more difficult to narrow down.  I even believe the rip and repair on this piece is interesting and may even help to identify it but I have really hit a wall in researching it.

So, 11.5" (bowl type) tray. On the back is a mark of some kind.  From the parts of the mark I can see, it looks like raised circles in a spiral shape.

I hope the images say what I couldn't and I appreciate any help or hint someone might have.

Thanks.

Megan
"In the end, our society will be defined not only by what we create, but by what we refuse to destroy."

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
Re: Antique Turkish Tray - Ottoman?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2015, 03:59:27 pm »
Turkey is well known for producing relics. I am not saying that this is not very old. I am saying that you need to Google "Turkish Copper or Brass Plate" into "images" and do some cross checking.

Megan

• View Profile
    • Sublime stuFF™
Re: Antique Turkish Tray - Ottoman?
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2015, 05:01:14 pm »
Hi again frogpatch.
That is actually almost exactly how I start searching.  The only pieces I have found with some similarities are a couple of museum pieces.  By similar I mean style, look of the metalwork, and the symbols on the piece.  Having said this, I sure will try the search terms you suggested and see what comes up in a far more broad search.
Thanks! :)
"In the end, our society will be defined not only by what we create, but by what we refuse to destroy."