Author Topic: eBay vs Auction Houses  (Read 3771 times)

Johnno

• View Profile
eBay vs Auction Houses
« on: February 12, 2014, 11:41:46 pm »
Hi Folks,

I'm planning to sell a few antiques, mostly ceramic vases, glassware and silverware. A dealer I know (now retired) has appraised many of the items and given me an idea of their value. I’ve also taken a few items to an auction house for appraisal and received estimated sale values which were about a quarter of the first price. That’s a huge difference.

It pains me to think of letting these items go too cheap at auction, so eBay looks to be the better avenue for obtaining prices closer to what the retired dealer suggested. But then I think of the time required to properly pack ceramics for shipping, the risk of damage in transit and the subsequent risk of eBay negative feedback. It would be a lot easier to just hand the items to the auction house, but then I’m reminded of the bargain prices they’ll probably go for. As a result, I’m sitting on my hands.

If I go with eBay, should I opt to make the items “pick up only” to avoid shipping hassles?
Is it worth checking with a couple of other auctions houses? And might different auction houses attract higher bids for certain wares?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

mart

• View Profile
Re: eBay vs Auction Houses
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 08:22:45 pm »
Well for a start,, if that antique dealer has not actively kept up with trends and prices as well as what is actually selling,, he/she may be way off on the prices !! Without knowing what you are selling its hard to give a general value on anything !!  Ceramics unless by known makers and marked as such generally do not sell well !!
I would certainly check with other places but you must understand that no matter what they say,, value is only as much as someone is willing to pay that night !!  Tomorrow might be totally different !!  
We look at prices and values sometimes daily here !! Why don`t you post a couple of pieces at a time here on the Q&A forum !! We would be happy to give our opinion on actual value !!
Provided the pieces you sell are not super large,,ebay might be the best bet !! I sell some glass ware with no problems by using heavy grade boxes from the dollar store that would be tossed or recycled and packing with the plastic grocery and dollar store bags !!  Lets say I sold a vase,, I would use a box at least an inch or so larger all around than the vase,,plastic bags go in the bottom to fill that inch then the vase and pack tightly all around and inside the vase all the way to the top,,it must be snug in the box !! You can stuff bags inside other bags to make a pillow at top if needed,,close and tape !! Check by shaking the box to see if it moves,, if it does add more plastic bags !! It should not move when you shake it !!  I have never lost a piece of glassware yet with this method !!
Forgot to say to wrap the object in one layer of bubble wrap before putting in the box !! Can even use recycled if you have it or buy at the dollar store !!
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 09:05:00 pm by mart »

Johnno

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2014, 12:18:53 am »
Thanks mart,

I suspect the auction house is frequented by those looking for a bargain, and the retired dealer is quoting prices they would expect to get on a good day, hence the difference in prices.

Thanks for the suggestion of trying the smaller pieces on eBay.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2014, 07:21:46 pm »
If you need assistance in pricing or determining a value,,just post pics on the Q&A forum !!  We would be happy to help !!   If you list on ebay just be sure to check to see if that item is selling at all !!  If not just wait a week or so,, you can`t outguess the buying public !!

Elda Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2022, 07:33:48 am »
It is easier to sell an item on eBay if you are willing to accept offers, but the auction house may have an advantage in selling to collectors who are interested only in purchasing your item at a specific price before getting essay help australia online. If you don't get that price, they don't buy it.

Eren

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2022, 07:54:20 am »
I prefer to buy old  things like antique fairs on live auction which will be soon https://www.antiqon.com/en/auction/ I am beginner in collection different old things. There are and will always be trends that come and go. I would advise against buying objects in these trends for investment. Trends are a great way to make money in the short term. If you are buying in the hope they are going to go up in value over some time, then there is a real risk of loss.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2022, 05:11:04 am by Eren »