Author Topic: Yellow & Green Glass Ashtray  (Read 2563 times)

valhom

• View Profile
Yellow & Green Glass Ashtray
« on: May 29, 2015, 01:21:46 pm »
I was trying to find one just like this. But, I found similar ones that say "Murano, etc.". Is this from that same maker? Can you tell? It doesn't have a sticker on bottom or scratched into it who it was made by. :( It's mostly yellow with green on bottom.

I'm trying to figure out if this is made by Murano, etc. and how much these would go for to the right buyer?

Thank you. :D

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
Re: Yellow & Green Glass Ashtray
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2015, 06:03:51 am »
Looks like Murano to me.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2015, 10:42:29 am »
Looks like those ashtrays made back in the 70`s !! Very heavy thick glass !!  Most just had a paper sticker that said "Made in Italy" with the brand name or importers name !!

Megan

• View Profile
    • Sublime stuFF™
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2015, 11:02:04 am »
I'm NOT an expert but I love art glass and have collected a lot of it.

This base was sometimes called a 6 point star base.
Unless the color is really distorted in the image I think this is Amber and it looks like it could be Viking.  Viking had that thick look and feel as well as this kind of style in the 70's (with it's iconic mod pieces being late 50's and 60's)

This could be Murano but there is something about it...that just isn't screaming Murano to me.

Regarding value I can only say this.  I have sold many of the more "famous" 60's Viking ashtrays (i.e. the orb ashtrays) for around $40-$50 (depending on the color).  So that might give you a very rough idea.

But...do some searching for Viking amber ashtrays and see if it feels like you get closer to your piece here.
Good luck and have fun!  Art glass is the BEST :)
"In the end, our society will be defined not only by what we create, but by what we refuse to destroy."

DANTE5

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2015, 11:23:07 am »
Megan,

Thanks for the information.  I am a collector and I've had several pieces like this and brushed it off as art glass and nothing more.  Usually the pieces are unmarked. I am now ready to research the Viking Glass for more information.  Thank you.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2015, 01:10:43 pm »
You might want to search Chalet Canada Amber ashtray also!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

DANTE5

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2015, 01:21:16 pm »
Chalet Canada Glass is very similar.  Thanks KC

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2015, 01:27:15 pm »
Also try looking at it as a "dish".  This could have been used for nuts/candy as well!  :)
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!