Author Topic: To clean or not to clean  (Read 2381 times)

Bradders

• View Profile
To clean or not to clean
« on: June 01, 2015, 04:34:36 am »
Hi, I am a collector of betel chewing equipment,mainly the lime paste containers.Could I please have some advice on wether to clean or not to clean them in respect to de-valueing.Advice online I have found comes down to what the object is and does vary,and no information on my particular sphere of collecting.I would appreciate any advice.Thank you.

awhitetriangle

• View Profile
Re: To clean or not to clean
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2015, 05:35:14 am »
don't clean it! you're likely to devalue it mate and lose the wonderful patina & character that's built up over the years. only my opinion btw!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2015, 05:47:59 am »
 My personal opinion would be to clean it with the best quality silver polish you can find !!  It will also clean brass and other metals !!  However it depends on what you intend to do with these containers, their current value and age, and possible increase in value over the years !!  If your intent is to sell them in the future,, I would say to leave them as-is !!  Most buyers want to see that tarnish as proof of age !! My reason for cleaning silver, brass and other metals is that eventually that tarnish can eat through the metals surface leaving dark patches that can not be removed without expensive restoration work !!  I do not recommend cleaning for anything with a historical connection but for everyday objects,, I would mildly clean,,,do not use anything that can scratch the surface !! Only use the softest of cloths and top quality polish and buff afterwards to a shine !!
Get others opinions here too,, that is only my opinion,, other have different viewpoints and reasons !!! Listen to all before you decide !!  

Bradders

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2015, 08:42:16 am »
Many thanks for you advice although tempted to make bright and shiny I think best left alone.

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2015, 06:29:06 pm »
Cool little item , Bradders .

One thing to consider might be @ least to simply sanitize your item , (esp so with items that have had regular contact with bodies - human or otherwise) so as to kill any 'old' bacteria-n-stuff that may be dormant in the outer layers of 'patina' ... aka the 'dirt layer' ... same goes for any residual 'stuff' i/s any container that may cause corrosion ... it oughta get removed too (according to that school of action/thought) .
As mart mentioned , perhaps a light coat of oil/wax/synthetic , followed by a complete & brisk wiping/buffing , might be a good sealant .

The only lime containers that I've seen were made of leaves or bamboo , so I'm happy to learn more about that niche .

Can you post any more pics of your item & maybe tell us what you know about it ?
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

Bradders

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2015, 10:08:50 am »
Hi, Again many thanks for your imput.Will upload some more photos and give a short history of of my collection theme a subject I find quite fascinating. Bradders

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2015, 11:51:06 am »
Will look forward to seeing your collection !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2015, 06:30:47 pm »
I look forward to seeing it as well.

People are working so hard to create the "patina" of time that comes from items being old/used.  It is a big industry now.

You have the desired item with the authentic age...that makes your item more valuable.  :)
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

sagall

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2015, 05:36:50 pm »
If It's brass and truly old, I wouldn't clean it. If it's silver, silver is "usually" meant to be polished.