value
« on: April 11, 2011, 06:36:57 pm »
Hello - I'm trying to find the value of a
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 05:10:19 pm by jennlu1 »

mart

• View Profile
Re: Whitney Reed rocking horse value
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 07:07:10 pm »
Do you know approx. when your grandparents purchased it ?? Also need to know what it is made from, size and condition ?? Can we get a few closer pics ??
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 07:13:56 pm by mart »

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 11:34:01 pm »
Wow... absolutely stunning. What a wonderful treasure! The mane and tail I can tell you look like natural horsehair. It was very common to use real manes and tails from horses on carousel horses and rocking horses. I would take a wild guess at 1910-ish, but your family history is probably the best way to determine a date. It is hard to date wood carvings, but look closely at the stirrup irons to see if there is a manufacturer's name, as well as any metal parts. Then we can try to look them up and get an idea of when it was produced.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

mariok54

• View Profile
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 01:42:47 am by mariok54 »

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 07:51:11 am »
He is an impressive horse!  I love him.  You probably saw this already but I read an opinion about the Company yesterday.

"The Whitney Reed Corporation of Leominster, MA. Rocking Horse. We suspect that this manufacturer failed because it did not adapt its product to changing consumer tastes. By the middle of the 20th century, children wanted their horses to look like Walt Disney movies than Civil War relics, and parents favored "hygienic" plastic over old-fashioned wood. "

http://archives.toys.oneofakindantiques.com/4342_whitney_reed_corporation_leominster_ma._rocking_horse_3.htm

Not much help but thought interesting that the horses were made to look real and the Civil War being the inspiration for the rocking horse.  Altho I could be reading a lot in to this  ;D
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2011, 10:34:55 am »
Looks like the company became Whitney Reed in 1898, so the horse would be sometime after that date:

Reed -- Known for its wooden toys, the W. S. Reed Toy Company was founded in Leominster, Massachusetts, in 1875. The firm manufactured a large variety of pull toys and construction sets, many with colorful lithographed paper decorations, such as the clipper ship Ocean Waves (1877), a toy circus wag-on with two horses (1878), a Mammoth Hippodrome circus with acrobats, ringmaster, clowns, and horses activated by a hand crank (1880), and a realistic-looking U.S. Capitol construction set (1884). In 1883 Reed received a patent for a cast-iron mechanical bank of the Old Lady in the Shoe. Reed was sold in 1897, and in 1898 it became the Whitney Reed Chair Company. The toys were marked with the name "W, S. Reed Toy Company" and the patent date, either on the box or on a paper label on the toy itself.

http://www.antique-antiques.com/toy-companies.shtml

Here's an example for sale with a hefty price tag and not nearly the condition of yours:

http://www.nehushtanantiques.com/Product162_Rocking_Horse_19th_Century.html
Antiqueaholic in recovery

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2011, 02:12:38 pm »
I saw one very similar but condition was not as good and it was from 1906 !!  Prices on the ones I found were from $1200. to $2200.  I would say this one would hit around $2000. or a bit more !!

Jazzykellam

• View Profile
Re: value
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2015, 09:18:28 pm »
what about this one?