Author Topic: Need help appraising this breathtaking fireplace from the 1890's  (Read 1388 times)

GLOCKCS

• View Profile
Hello everyone! Here I will be showing you pictures of a fireplace that was inside of a house that my dad bought in Youngstown Ohio back in the 70's. He discovered the fireplace after he cleaned and repaired the home because there were plants, vines, and trees growing inside of the house. I went to the historical society of Youngstown to see if they could help me out with finding any info on the house or architect, but we found nothing. The Youngstown library was of no help as well. From all of the research and info that I have gathered on the house and the fireplace is this: the house was built in 1895. The fireplace was made in Italy, and that there were two that were made in similar, almost identical fashion. Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks

mart

• View Profile
Re: Need help appraising this breathtaking fireplace from the 1890's
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2015, 12:11:51 pm »
Pics are too big to load !!

GLOCKCS

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2015, 12:14:38 pm »
Mary: woah, really? I took a picture using my iPhone and uploaded it to imgur. On my browser it looks fine.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2015, 05:12:08 pm »
Well,, they finally loaded !!  Most hand held device pics are oversize for this site !!  They will eventually load but we can not enlarge them to see detail,, or at least I can`t !!  When I looked earlier all I got was a blank spot !!  My dial up makes thing worse !!  Takes forever !! 

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2015, 08:01:02 pm »
Can you tell us what it is made of?
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2015, 08:26:38 pm »
Yes please,, it does not look like marble !!

GLOCKCS

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2015, 10:40:52 pm »
I think it's made of something similar to concrete maybe? It looked old like it was cast from a mold because I see air bubbles in some areas or what might be plaster stuck in som of the holes