Author Topic: A strange silver ring  (Read 1692 times)

Firkinantiques

• View Profile
A strange silver ring
« on: July 05, 2015, 01:18:51 pm »
Hello everyone!  I am so glad there is a place for a guy like me to talk to other Antique and collectible lovers.  Anyway, I have this ring from an estate sale... this was among a few others but for some reason this one feels "special" but hey...I could be very wrong...it may be crap ;)

Here are some photos, it is certainly nice looking I just cannot seem to find out anything about it.  It turned red on a silver acid scratch test and it's marked on the inside "SM". 

The design is like a black rose if I had to guess. 

Does anyone have any insight?  If you can point me in the right direction, it would be awesome!  This thing is a mystery to me :)  Here are some big pics

Best,
CS

mart

• View Profile
Re: A strange silver ring
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2015, 07:27:53 pm »
Your pics are so big that they will not load for me !! Did manage to get one that I could see !!  The ring is unique but do not think it has much age to it !!  The cut-out rose is a pretty modern concept !!  The ring itself does not look professionally done,, too many irregularities !!  I would say it was done by a hobbyist !!  That may be why the inside has only initials stamped !!   Many hobbyists buy the mounts and finish the rest with their own designs !!

AndrewCampbell

• View Profile
    • AC Silver
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2015, 02:48:29 am »
While it is a very pretty design, I'm really going to have to agree. There's just not enough aging on it for it to be antique silver. But of course it would be best to run a few more tests on it if you want to be sure. Bring it to an antiquity shop or something and ask them for their opinion if you have time to run down to one.
Andrew Campbell started trading in antique silver in 1977. Over the years, Andrew’s passion and interest in high quality items crafted in silver grew, and AC Silver flourished. As a result of providing customers with a wide range of items, along with a professional yet personal service.

Jeerygee

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2015, 12:54:19 am »
I have studied this for a long time. I want to write an article.

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2015, 11:41:31 am »
My opinion is that your item is cheap costume jewelry , Firkin .

Whenever one can see a clearly defined seam from casting , it's usually poor craftsmanship & metal , esp when it's like the one inside of your item .

Although such items sometimes are silver or gold plated , the base metals are stuff you wouldn't want to wear on your skin !
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "