Author Topic: Need help dating the "Year of the Horse" Original Sketch Illustrator (Picture)  (Read 3144 times)

DANTE5

• View Profile
Hi everyone,
I found this interesting illustrator at the Goodwill in Georgia (USA).  Need help dating the "Year of the Horse" Original Sketch Illustrator (Picture).  Matted in frame measuring approximately 19 1/8" x 13 1/8" Signed by artist Ben Okamoto.  I am almost certain it is a celebratory illustration for the Year of the Horse. Need help determining which year?  1912, 1924, 1936? etc.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks

mart

• View Profile
What does the little tag on the back say ??  Can`t read it,,, too little !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Mart, the small yellow tag reads:
Suburban Picture Frame & Trophies, Inc.
2573 N. Decatur Road
Decatur, GA  30033
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

DANTE5

• View Profile
Thanks KC...I acquired a couple of nice paintings the same day with that label on it.  Really nice STUFF!!

mart

• View Profile
Only Ben Okamoto I found was on Linkedin,,no artist or illustrator by that name and no sales record !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
You could try and contact the framing company and inquire about your treasures...they may be able to help.  This offers their phone number, fax and email!

http://decatur-ga.cylex-usa.com/company/suburban-picture-frame-co-1327338.html
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Ipcress

• View Profile
I think it's just a Christmas / New Years card sent at the start of the year of the horse, with geishas playing hagoita ( battledore and shuttlecock )
Don't recognise the name.

Envelope has a 40s look to it but that might just be how it's intended. However, the artwork also implies that period.

DANTE5

• View Profile
Ipcress, I'll continue to search and focus on the 1936 "Year of the Horse" for starters.  The artwork is the most prized part of this piece because it is original.  I was trying to avoid removing from frame however.  The paper that the artwork is drawn on just might bear the answer to year.  Thanks for information on the name of the game "Hagoita" helps with description.

mart

• View Profile
Removing the dust cover will not affect any possible value !!  Just take it to a frame shop and have it replaced,,about $5. !! Or just run a craft knife around the sides,,leave one intact,, and tape back when finished !!

Ipcress

• View Profile
Ipcress, I'll continue to search and focus on the 1936 "Year of the Horse" for starters.  The artwork is the most prized part of this piece because it is original.  I was trying to avoid removing from frame however.  The paper that the artwork is drawn on just might bear the answer to year.  Thanks for information on the name of the game "Hagoita" helps with description.

What's the text beneath Mount Fuji on the front - is it a printers mark ?

DANTE5

• View Profile
The printed lettering reads "UCHIDA KYOTO, JAPAN"

Mat

• View Profile

DANTE5

• View Profile
Thank you for your attention to detail..both Ipcress and Mat..Thanks again

DANTE5

• View Profile
Terrific information MAT.....If not mistaken this item is a vintage (?) "Nengajo" Japanese New Year Day "Oshogatsu"
"Year of the Horse" card.  People send New Year’s greeting postcards called "Nengajo to their acquaintances for the New Year.  Thanks again MAT! Very interesting.