Author Topic: Violin joseph guarnerius andreae cremona 1725  (Read 4668 times)

micaela

• View Profile
Violin joseph guarnerius andreae cremona 1725
« on: August 10, 2015, 10:13:06 pm »
I found  this violin. I see in the interior label “joseph guarnerius andreae cremona 1725”. I like if possible give me some information about this violin. If original or replica. Or something I dont know nothing abou violins.

Kind Regards in advance

Mica

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: Violin joseph guarnerius andreae cremona 1725
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2015, 11:29:00 am »
Macaela, you always get the most interesting items!  Glad to see you back, it has been awhile!

The wording that is key in noting the maker of yours is "Joseph Guarnerius Andreae Nepos Cremona 1725.

Interesting note on the maker of this in Baker's Biographical Dictionary of Musicians - so the original ones were high quality and the later ones were poor quality according to this:
https://books.google.com/books?id=IwcQAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA343&lpg=PA343&dq=joseph+guarnerius+andreae+cremona+1725&source=bl&ots=hlKDbWLPEo&sig=krLfcb21yoA_HpWM0sBiRXenLjs&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CCwQ6AEwAmoVChMI_caIk8WhxwIVBs6ACh3cagnf#v=onepage&q=joseph%20guarnerius%20andreae%20cremona%201725&f=false

You would be wise to have a professional/authority to view this piece as to it being an original piece or a replica if one is available to you.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 11:35:44 am by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2015, 12:30:40 pm »
I agree,, get someone to look at it !!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2015, 06:05:23 pm »
Definitely get a qualified luthier (violin repair person) to take a look at it or at the photos. Do not take it to a local music store. If original it could be quite valuable:
https://www.skinnerinc.com/search?s=Andrea+Guarneri
But don't get your hopes up, as it is VERY common for violin labels to mean "in the style of (famous maker)" rather than to actually mean that they did make it themselves. Also remember that good copies can be valuable too.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

Ipcress

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2015, 01:20:09 pm »
Nicely made but there are many of these replicas made in the late 19th, early 20th century, often in Germany or France.  Printed labels with the last two digits hand written.

An original would be worth five or six figures but even well made replicas can be several hundred

The guys over at http://www.maestronet.com/forum/ are always helpful but a violin like this with several well taken photos would find it's value in an online auction.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2015, 09:11:46 pm »
The thing about this one,, unless I am mistaken,, it is not a paper label as most of the more modern repro`s are !!  This looks to be stamped on the interior wood !! 

Ipcress

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2015, 06:25:12 am »
Looks like a paper label from the image, Mart. The end of the label between the writing and the edge of the sound hole.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2015, 09:30:05 pm »
Even tho I can blow up the picture I can't see it well enough to determine any more about the "label" without a hands on inspection.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2015, 02:28:25 pm »
I saw what Ipcress was talking about but it looks like a separation in the wood grain to me !!  I would have expected a difference in the color of the wood and the paper but all looks the same !!

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2015, 08:24:06 pm »

Ipcress

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2015, 04:54:49 am »
I saw what Ipcress was talking about but it looks like a separation in the wood grain to me !!  I would have expected a difference in the color of the wood and the paper but all looks the same !!

Mart, take a look at this. http://www.skinnerinc.com/news/blog/violin-appraiser-how-to-identify-violin-label/

That's an original label, not a later one like the one above. However, imagine seeing this close up through a sound hole, with the dusted label almost identical in colour to the wood of the violin. You might also think it was grain. This is what you'd see

Also this from an appraisal of one with the same date

" Your violin is a workshop copy of a Guarnerius, made in either Markneukirchen or Mittenwald, Germany around the turn of the 20th century. The location of all authentic Guarneri violins still in existence is known. Several factories operated in both towns, making instruments for export to the US. These are still considered to be good student instruments today (not for concert performers) "

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2015, 07:46:37 am »
Thanks Ipcress !!  Guess that puts  this question to rest !!  However some of the student violins can still bring fair prices !!