Author Topic: Antique Little Humpback (Camelback) Trunk.  (Read 3257 times)

Kimmienemo

• View Profile
Antique Little Humpback (Camelback) Trunk.
« on: September 23, 2015, 12:55:58 pm »
Hello all!  It's been a long time since I have visited the forum and hope that this inquiry finds you all well!

A little while ago, I purchased an adorable little trunk from a local antique dealer.  Unfortunately, there I seem to be getting conflicting information about the trunk.  I was wondering if someone might be able to provide me a little additional information about the trunk.

It is a small trunk, with a stamped (?) metal exterior.  It has leather side handles, and tiny wheels on the bottom of the trunk.  There is a tray inside which appears to have had a covered side, but the cover is missing.

I have included some pictures.  I did not have a tape measure handy, but included a double bed foot board as a reference point.  If measurements are needed, I would be most happy to track down my wayward tape measure to provide the info.

Thanks again for your assistance.

Kim Herndon
It is better to keep your mouth closed and be thought a fool,
than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

mart

• View Profile
Re: Antique Little Humpback (Camelback) Trunk.
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2015, 06:54:12 pm »
http://www.legacytrunks.com/trunk_history_information.htm

Scroll down to the bottom to see one similar to yours !!  They were made in large and small sizes but the smaller trunks are less common than the big ones !!  The wheels on yours are an added bonus !! Yours wouls be from 1870 to 1910 as the site says !!  They were made by many different mfrs !!

Kimmienemo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2015, 09:28:25 pm »
Thank you, Mart.  I love its character!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2015, 06:16:55 am »
Glad to see you back on the forum !!  Meant to say that yesterday but got sidetracked as usual !! Looks like your trunk may have been repainted at some point !!  Could be a mfrs name under that paint somewhere !! Look for a small metal plate on lower back !!  Are you going to restore it ??

Kimmienemo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2015, 01:36:30 pm »
It's good to BE back!  I have missed you all! 

I don't believe it has been repainted, but will examine it more carefully this weekend.  (The trunk is in our guest room and we currently have guests!)  I will also look for a manufacturers mark at that time.

I hand't thought about restoring it, as I don't mind the look that it currently has.  Additionally, I thought restoring antiques usually devalues them.  Is that correct?  I know so little. . .  :-\

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2015, 01:46:15 pm »
I believe that under a certain high dollar amount, restoration is OK, especially so if the restoration is faithful and it looks more like the original trunk when you're finished than when you began.
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

Kimmienemo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2015, 02:23:01 pm »
Again, thanks!  I will look closer and, perhaps, add more pictures to get some advice as to restore or not to restore. . .

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2015, 06:05:53 pm »
Ghopper is correct !!  Trunks are one thing that a good restore can add to the value !! Your trunk is pretty much intact so maybe just a light going over is all it needs !! But it is surely not a requirement !!  If you like it as is by all means leave it that way !!  That you like it is the important thing !!

jacon4

• collector/ student of early american furniture
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2015, 02:40:14 am »
 Additionally, I thought restoring antiques usually devalues them.

Actually, a correct restoration improves the value of antique furniture over 90% of the time, naturally, the down side is a bad restore job does the exact opposite. Many like the weathered, worn look though so if you like it i would keep as is!
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 02:42:07 am by jacon4 »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2015, 07:40:55 pm »
That's true Jacon4,,but as you and I know that is most often not what we see when it comes to furniture !!  We usually see a "refinish" which is not the same thing at all !!

jacon4

• collector/ student of early american furniture
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2015, 03:16:38 am »
Well, a refinish job is OK so long as one DOES NOT touch the piece with sandpaper, this is where most amateur restorations go wrong. Patina on wood is really just oxidation of the surface of the wood over time and is literally just skin deep, sand that off and you basically have a new piece of furniture. A new finish or paint job can be removed, sanding the surface of wood is permanent and is known in the trade as "skinned", a BIG NO NO.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2015, 03:30:35 pm »
Yes, but you know most Texans own stock in the sandpaper companies !! ;D