Author Topic: is it real or print?  (Read 4206 times)

mart

• View Profile
Re: is it real or print?
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2015, 05:57:27 am »
http://www.tyronehistory.org/research/wilson-chemical-co-prints?limitstart=0

Here is the gallery of Cloverine Salve`s prints that were freebies !! Since I am on dial up it would take me forever to get through them !! If someone could go through this list to check and see if this print was one given with purchase !! You have to check every one in case "The Afternoon Caller" is not the correct title !!

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2015, 06:10:29 am »
I looked through them all but did not see it.
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

rink28

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2015, 07:12:34 am »
Just out of curiosity how can you tell it's a print by looking at it over the computer? I can see if it was in person. When I look at it through a magnifying glass there are no dots!! The paper looks to be correct. The paper is not smooth it looks rough and bumpy. I have seen watercolors online signed by him estimated value was around 800 to 1200 dollars. I know about the demand but since it's hard to find maybe it's a rarer watercolor. He did paint watercolors

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2015, 10:01:45 am »
You can not tell for sure but since I paint and have worked in watercolor (and hated it),, from what I can see it looks like a print !! There are many different types of prints,, not all have the telltale dots !!
I would suggest that you take it to a frame shop and let them remove it so you can look at it !!  They will know which one it is and you can check for publishers info and then put it back with the original nails ect. !! Likely the dust cover if there is one needs replacing anyway !!  Should cost about $10. !! It will not affect any possible value it may have !!
Another thing which you may not have thought about,, since Ferris sold reproduction rights on many works,,that would mean the purchaser could print them for as long as they wished !!  So even if the original work was painted in 1895,, the print could have been made last year for all we know !!

rink28

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2015, 10:43:03 am »
ok ill try that mart. ill go there today and they can look at it out of the frame. thats true its just tricky with watercolor paper cause like you said some dont show the dots. ill find out today for sure if its a print or not. thanks for the help though!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2015, 01:54:06 pm »
Be sure and let is know what they say !! Good Luck !!