Author Topic: need help on oil painting  (Read 1714 times)

rink28

• View Profile
need help on oil painting
« on: October 30, 2015, 12:00:25 pm »
hello, i acquired this oil on canvas painting at an auction 2 days ago. i tried doing some research on my own of this painting but i only came across one that was similar to mine. it had the same back sticker and signature too but the problem was it was listed in Canada and i couldn't get a hold of the gallery unfortunately. the signature is signed " laurent " but the sticker on the back says " Laurant born in strasbourg in 1910, attended the academy of beaux arts in paris and was drawn to the circle of impressionists. at the beginning of his career he did quite a variety of subjects in this style. Later on he concentrated on the Parisian street scene with great success. in this particular subject he is well known." what im wondering is what is this artists first name and what do you think the era of this painting could be from? also im confused on if this persons name is it laurant or laurent? here is the one i found that was listed on a website in Canada that was similar to mine but the scene was different. the painting on the website stated that theirs was from 1950's here is the link   http://interart.ca/paintings/ItemSS0085.html

any information would be great thanks! unfortunately it didn't have a price either :/

rink28

• View Profile
Re: need help on oil painting
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2015, 12:03:17 pm »
more photos

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2015, 04:59:27 am »
Started on this last night but got sleepy !!  Fifties is the era the stretcher frame is from or about that time !!  I think your artist may be Henry Laurent but still checking on this one !!

rink28

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2015, 09:43:40 am »
Ok thanks mart! I looked up Henry laurent biography but for some reason I keep seeing that that person was born before 1910. Not sure if I'm reading about the same Henry laurent as you are. I looked last night too but couldn't find much unfortunately.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2015, 12:20:22 pm »
https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/1017501_henry-laurent-street-scene-in-paris-oil

I couldn`t get the pic to load but this is the one I am talking about !!  This one is from 1950 !!  But it says little other than he was French !!  See if the painting here is in the same style as yours !! It has a $400. to $600. estimate !!

rink28

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2015, 12:46:51 pm »
The scene is different but deffinately has the same style and color usage also! I looked at the signature mine is signed "laurent" and the one that is listed on the auction is signed "Henry laurent" on the lower left of the painting. Do you think it could be the same artist? The signature on the painting online is not written in cursive. The signature on my painting is written in cursive. Not sure if that's the same artist or not but it does have the same style look to it

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2015, 06:51:16 pm »
I would say it sure could be !!  An artist can and usually does go through different signatures,, but they usually stay with a similar palette and painting style in a given time period !!  There are a couple of others with similar names but totally different styles !!

rink28

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2015, 08:17:49 pm »
Oh ok thanks for helping me out mart! I appreciate it. Do you think I should take it to a local gallery to make sure this was done by him? What do you think?

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2015, 04:02:40 am »
You could if you wish but he is a lesser known artist with a small sales record,, galleries may not be familiar with him !!  But give it a shot,, you never know !!

rink28

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2015, 04:35:25 pm »
Ok if I do I'll let you know what they say! Thanks again!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2015, 07:00:33 pm »
Will look to see what they say !!