Author Topic: antique bronze bowl with silver inlay  (Read 1925 times)

awhitetriangle

• View Profile
antique bronze bowl with silver inlay
« on: November 01, 2015, 05:26:30 am »
hi everyone, apologies for not posting any of my recent finds! so lots to share now! the first is a lovely antique bronze bowl with silver inlay, it weighs over 300g. it measures 10.5 cm across. on to the important bit, the pics, sorry taken on the iphone.

look forward to hearing your thoughts, thanks!

mart

• View Profile
Re: antique bronze bowl with silver inlay
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2015, 09:35:21 am »
Where did you find this one ??  Its very nice but sort of puzzling too !!

rink28

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2015, 09:57:47 am »
It's a nice bowl. The thing that puts up a red flag here is that there are no markings and looks modern made by the ornaments in the side. I think it's made to look old in my opinion

rink28

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2015, 10:05:46 am »
If this was an old bowl with real silver inlay and bronze there should be some kind of marking on the bowl somewhere. I just don't see it in your pics. By looking on the side of your bowl the design doesn't look accurate. If this was a high quality bowl the detail of the ornaments would and design would of been more even to the design. It's a cool bowl but antique I'm not sure

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2015, 02:51:16 pm »
This one would not have a modern foundry mark nor a makers mark of any kind !! Most has been hand done including the silver inlay !!

awhitetriangle

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2015, 02:10:46 am »
hi, thanks for your replies, mart it was purchased from an antique dealer here in england. its all hand done, its real silver, with lots of subtle variations in the design, so it does look primitive that's part of what appealed to me. the iphone pics don't show the patina, wear etc very well, i'll take some better ones with the camera. its been looked at by two other dealers who didn't doubt it was old. both handled the bowl. one said it was possibly burmese. i really am intrigued by this one so i thought id throw it out for help. anybody any thoughts on age origin? cheer, a.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2015, 04:32:52 am »
That's what is puzzling about this bowl,, it gives no indication of origin at all !!  Burmese is as good a guess as any !!  Look at the patterns within the circles around the bowl,, the design inside them reminds me of the star/zodiac constellations and patterns somewhat !!  What is the number of circles around it ??

awhitetriangle

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2015, 04:39:51 am »
well i didn't think of that! there's 12 of the larger circles each with a different design inside, your on to something bud!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2015, 07:47:38 am »
If there are twelve,, maybe months of the year ??  Of course that would depend on the culture of the country the bowl was made in !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2015, 02:21:59 pm »
Hard to say origin but does appear to be handmade!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

awhitetriangle

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2015, 02:10:49 am »
had me puzzled too! i didn't pay a huge amount for it as the dealer was a friend and was hard up at the time so i bought a few bits off him.