Author Topic: Western Foundry Co. Cast Iron Laundry Stove  (Read 5458 times)

Nefthys

• View Profile
Western Foundry Co. Cast Iron Laundry Stove
« on: November 10, 2015, 11:38:09 am »
Hello,

I recently acquired this cast iron stove and despite my best research efforts, my normal avenues haven't turned up very much about it. Even my local museum contact is a bit stumped. It is a 2 burner, laundry cast iron wood/coal burning stove.  According to the front plate it is a Daisy made by Western Foundry Co in Wingham, Ontario.

I've managed to find out that the name "Daisy" is not a model name, as I had originally thought, but an identification of where it would have been sold. But leads as to where the "Daisy" line was sold, I cannot seem to find out.

This is a snippet from a helpful article:
"The Winnipeg catalogue called the Crown Huron the Kitchen Queen. Other than the name, everything – the style of the stove and its features – was the same. In some cases in the Eaton’s catalogues, Western Foundry stoves came under the Acme brand name. Nameplates were easily cast and attached. What didn’t change was the plate or impression reading, ‘The Western Foundry Co. Ltd., Wingham, Ontario’ that was cast on every stove that left the Wingham foundry. It didn’t matter if the stove line was called Acme, Old Honesty, Crown Huron, Daisy or Gem. As long as the stove carried the name ‘The Western Foundry Co. Ltd.’ the customer knew it was from the company that promised ‘Quality First and Always’."

I'm curious to know how old it is? As I cannot seem to find information on when this model was made or sold. I'm also curious about the value if anyone happens to know? I don't plan on selling it, but it is nice to know the value for insurance purposes. All I can find online is a wide range of prices from places like ebay and kijiji that range from $300 - $1000 USD. And most of those listings are in various states of repair from poor rust buckets, to fairly decent shape.

The stove itself is in fairly good condition. Only a few tiny spots of rust on the back and the cooking rings. The cooking rings however are not part of the original stove and are replacements from another one, hence why they don't fit quite right. There is a small crack in the back right leg which means the bolt is a little loose so the stove has a small wobble. A welding friend of mine said he could fix it, but I am unsure if I want to alter it at all at the moment till I know more about it.

I appreciate any help that can be offered. Direct links to images can be found below.

Image 1: http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn275/Neptheen/stove1_zpso9e4cux1.jpg

Image 2: http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn275/Neptheen/stove2_zpsoc17kcun.jpg

Thank you,
Deez

rink28

• View Profile
Re: Western Foundry Co. Cast Iron Laundry Stove
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2015, 01:08:10 pm »
http://m.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Raven-cast-iron-laundry-parlor-stove-/252163673686?nav=SEARCH here is one listed on ebay similar condition to yours. They don't really bring much money in I say yours is around 400. There cool stoves but don't really bring in much value

Nefthys

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2015, 01:42:28 pm »
http://m.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Raven-cast-iron-laundry-parlor-stove-/252163673686?nav=SEARCH here is one listed on ebay similar condition to yours. They don't really bring much money in I say yours is around 400. There cool stoves but don't really bring in much value

Thank you for the link. I just need to know an estimated value for insurance purposes. As I have a lot of antiques, I keep an updated record of everything I own. That way in case of a fire or theft, I have something to fall back on record wise. :)

It still would be great to know how old it is, or where it may have been sold originally.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2015, 03:37:55 pm »
This is a great site and noted in Yankee Magazine.  The Stove Doctor might take the time to help you out with your questions (just a stab in the dark). 

I would recommend sending pics and detailed request to the email listed on the site.

Best of luck!

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2015, 05:50:26 am »
There is a small crack in the back right leg which means the bolt is a little loose so the stove has a small wobble. A welding friend of mine said he could fix it,

Welding that old cast iron it "tricky" so your friend best know what he is doing.

Anyway, a great looking "decorator" stove ..... and quite useful "ta boot" if connected to a chimney.

A good "wire" brushing and a coat of Stove Black and it will look like a new one.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2015, 05:34:36 am »
Will also keep the rust from taking over !!