Author Topic: Does anyone know who made this ?? A puzzler !!  (Read 3177 times)

mart

• View Profile
Does anyone know who made this ?? A puzzler !!
« on: November 16, 2015, 03:41:41 pm »
http://www.kovels.com/forums/7-silver-pewter-brass-copper-chrome-other-metals/9725-pewter-art-nouveau-vase

I have found one or two others with the same handle but cannot find the company name !! Not always the same signature so more than one artist !!Even Kovels used one from another site so guess they do not know !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: Does anyone know who made this ?? A puzzler !!
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2015, 05:05:22 pm »
ETAIN GUARANTI PUR is French and means "guaranteed pure tin" which is used on pewter.

They really need to post a good pic of the other marking.

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Ipcress

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2015, 05:35:25 pm »
http://www.kovels.com/forums/7-silver-pewter-brass-copper-chrome-other-metals/9725-pewter-art-nouveau-vase

I have found one or two others with the same handle but cannot find the company name !! Not always the same signature so more than one artist !!Even Kovels used one from another site so guess they do not know !!

Mart, looks like a period copy of a Henri Huppe vase. Plenty of people copied him whilst he was still alive. There was also Jean Garnier. You've probably seen similar.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2015, 07:29:34 pm »
KC,, if you read farther they tried a pencil rubbing and tried to draw what could be seen well but still couldn`t tell the name !!

Yes Ipcress,, that name came up in several searches !! There was another but I forget what his name was !!  The pitcher/ewer is really not made that well but the handle is and the same handle was used on other items,,mostly pitchers !!  Was curious who made this one,, none have a mfr/foundry name !! All have the same thing on bottom !! Surely there is a company of some kind out there !!  Don`t think these were made in someones garage workshop !! Or were they ??

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2015, 08:23:18 pm »
Whoops.  Didn't see there was a page 2 on that one.  Thanks Mart!

Irregardless of origin, I would have bought it if it was at a garage sale/thrift store! 
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 08:34:48 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2015, 09:02:11 pm »
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 09:18:35 pm by KC »

schmidtcassie@hotmail.com

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2015, 09:30:21 am »
Hi there I am the one in possession of this vase and it truly has been a puzzler. The comment about Henri Huppe got me started on a search using his name. Here is link to a vase that does look very similar to the one I have.. except much higher quality. So could there have a been a sort of school where artists could mold / make vases to learn the process and that's why there are so many different signatures? Like our modern day ceramic painting shops... many artists putting a spin on a mass mold.
http://www.icollector.com/ART-NOUVEAU-HENRY-HUPPE-19th-century-French-school-A-very-good-brown-patinated-bronze-figural_i763372

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2015, 10:43:14 am »
Just want you to clear your mind and look at the signature on the ewer again.  Could it be "Paris"?

Women scantily clad or nude have been in art forever.  The Art Nouveau period glamorized it and has been copied ever since.  It wasn't/isn't uncommon for a particular style to be copied/repro'd because it was an opportunity to ride on the coat tails of something that was selling. 

https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/8651019_two-art-nouveau-pewter-ewers
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 11:13:54 am by KC »

Ipcress

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2015, 12:52:13 pm »
Hi there I am the one in possession of this vase and it truly has been a puzzler. The comment about Henri Huppe got me started on a search using his name. Here is link to a vase that does look very similar to the one I have.. except much higher quality. So could there have a been a sort of school where artists could mold / make vases to learn the process and that's why there are so many different signatures? Like our modern day ceramic painting shops... many artists putting a spin on a mass mold.
http://www.icollector.com/ART-NOUVEAU-HENRY-HUPPE-19th-century-French-school-A-very-good-brown-patinated-bronze-figural_i763372

I had a browse earlier and i think the mark is Petiz for Petizon. Have a google / read about that. Jean Maurice Petizon was a sculptor himself but had a foundry which produced work by other artists. So basically the 'school ' you referred to. They also used the " Etain... " guarantee mark. Here's an image

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2015, 07:14:17 pm »
Hi there cschmidt !!  Was wondering if you had read these comments !! Ipcress may be right,, I said on the other forum that the more I looked,, the more it looked like Diaz but the signature is so poor that it could well be Petiz !!  And the school fits what you found !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2015, 09:24:57 pm »
Ipcress, think you nailed it!  Karma to you!

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2015, 08:45:16 am »
Oh wow! Yes indeed we have found the original source! Great job! Thanks so much! Now what can we say would be an approximate value? and how and where would be the best place to sell it assuming my customer want to sell?

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2015, 12:32:41 pm »
The one on the Kovels site was $336. but that was several years ago if I remember correctly !! Most of what I saw of French pewter similar to this that had sold recently was around $100. to $150.!! In general things like this have been down in todays market !!

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2015, 08:51:56 am »
Thank you all. You have been very helpful. I will pass on this information to my client and I look forward to using this forum as a useful tool in the future.