Author Topic: Antiques or not?  (Read 5446 times)

debodun

• View Profile
Antiques or not?
« on: July 11, 2015, 10:22:24 am »
I stopped at a neighborhood estate sale yesterday out of curiosity. The person that seemed to be in charge was selling these pieces as antiques and priced as such. I took some pics and measurements until she told me to desist. I said I wanted to research them. Now if these were legit antiques, why was she so adamant about my taking photos? It made me curious so I'd like some opinions on the value these and guess how much she was asking. Both pieces have damage to the wood (varnish damage on top shelf of bookcase and scratches on the hexagonal-shaped table, and the back of the bookcase looks like it was replaced or repaired at some point).

fancypants

• View Profile
Re: Antiques or not?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2015, 11:36:32 am »
I do see items just like the hex-shape end table around my neck of the woods with sellers calling them 'antiques' .
Can't say for certain on the bookcase , but it does not appear to be the real deal either , debodun .

Some will call items from the 1960's forward 'antique' , but not me !

Used furniture would be a more accurate term !
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2015, 03:21:15 pm »
I would say that the hexagon table is from the late 1950's to 1960's onward -  from the style and from what I am seeing from the picture.  If from the 50's that would make it VINTAGE (50 years to 99 years).  So many people misuse these terms these days - but in their defense it is because they AREN'T nuts like us on the forum and know the true meaning of the terms.

However, they still make this style such as this one that has a glass insert.  http://ecobuildingbargains.org/products/hexagon-side-tables/

The style is still popular but you won't retire on the value of it.  In my neck of the wood this would sell for $ 35 - $70 depending on condition and consumer demand.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 08:10:24 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

jacon4

• collector/ student of early american furniture
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2015, 04:07:25 pm »
not

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2015, 08:37:26 pm »
... I took some pics and measurements until she told me to desist. I said I wanted to research them. Now if these were legit antiques, why was she so adamant about my taking photos?.

Actually, with the multitude of the social media “selling / trading sites” available today, I would question as to why anyone was taking photos of my things. For all the owner knew, you could have been online at the time, posting the pieces for sale under your own name for a higher asking price. Believe me, its been done and will continue to be done.

debodun

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2015, 01:04:20 pm »
So if they can get someone to offer a higher price than the person selling, they can get it and make a profit? I call that "free enterprise" and I'm all for it.

AndrewCampbell

• View Profile
    • AC Silver
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2015, 02:51:30 am »
Nowadays, people refer to something ‘old’ as ‘antique’. There is a indeed a significant difference between what is old and what is antique. An antique is desired not only because it is old but because of its rarity, beauty, design and uniqueness. Otherwise, it will just be referred to as used. Many of the antique silver jewelry that I see on the market are neither unique nor rare. I would suggest that people do their due diligence on research before buying anything ‘antique’ in the case of silver jewelry.
Andrew Campbell started trading in antique silver in 1977. Over the years, Andrew’s passion and interest in high quality items crafted in silver grew, and AC Silver flourished. As a result of providing customers with a wide range of items, along with a professional yet personal service.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2015, 10:14:41 am »
Good points there AndrewCampbell.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

jacon4

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2015, 10:13:13 am »
Whether they were antiques or not, the seller made an error by stopping you from determining if you had a market/buyer for the objects, not real bright on sellers part.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2015, 07:54:42 pm »
So if they can get someone to offer a higher price than the person selling, they can get it and make a profit? I call that "free enterprise" and I'm all for it.

I agree !!  To make a profit is the entire point of buying and selling !!  Why any one would care if you made money or not is beyond me,, as long as they get what they want !!

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2015, 10:19:24 pm »

I agree !!  To make a profit is the entire point of buying and selling !!  Why any one would care if you made money or not is beyond me,, as long as they get what they want !!

Maybe I’m too sensitive, but one of my more aggravating moments in the business revolved around this subject. Long before the internet, when the printed page was the preferred method of advertising, I had a dealer come into the shop and spend a considerable amount of time going around with his notebook and tape measure. No mention was made as to his intentions. The following week his ad appeared in a popular weekly national antique paper of the time, listing a dozen items that were still sitting in my shop.
I don’t care what anyone chooses to do with something after they buy it. In fact, more than once I would sell a piece over the phone to a dealer, who in turn would resell it while it remained in my shop. But don’t expect me to stand at an auction to buy something, haul it, clean it, display it, insure it, and than have someone too cheap to invest their own money, advertising it at higher price under their name. Just my humble opinion.

jacon4

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2015, 06:07:21 am »
Yeah, I get what you are saying but, i assume the guy paid for that ad in the weekly so hey, in effect he was doing you a favor by providing another avenue to sell your objects.

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2015, 07:03:34 am »
When I had my shop open, I sold far more items to dealers than I did to the general public.

I made my profit ….. and I assume they did also ….. because many came back again n’ again.

A lesson I had to learn though, …. if someone brought an item in to sell to me, …. I would never quote them a price I would pay for it.

Because iffen I did, more often than not, they would take that item to another dealer and tell them …… “Sam offered me $$$ for it, ….. how much will you pay for it?”

HA, they were operating a “private” auction ….. with the dealers being the “bidders”.

Jlsherf

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2015, 08:36:29 am »
I know this is an old thread and may not be seen but I totally get what Rauville is saying.  I use to sell on line and one day I was researching more an an item I had listed.  Low and behold if I didn't find it with my pictures no less on eBay!  What people were and probably still are doing was selling others items with no item to ship.  I am not sure how they thought they would make any money but it had been a problem for others as well.  That's called take the money and run!  Lol!  Of course eBay took the store down after my proof.  I was very new to on line sales and since learned that you can mark and secure your photos to help stop this.  However I have been to many estate sales and see others taking pics and researching the items before buying.  Which only makes sense to me!
I should have been born in another era!