Author Topic: Knowles Taylor & Knowles porcelain plate with Dan Patch picture  (Read 1515 times)

peterpan

• View Profile
Knowles Taylor & Knowles porcelain plate with Dan Patch picture
« on: December 12, 2015, 10:29:53 pm »
Hi Folks!
My search to figure out what I have has landed me here! 
Let me start with what (I think) I know
I have a plate a little over 8 inches wide! I’ve scanned the bottom of the plate. I think it reads” K T & K.Co” + “semi vitreous porcelain”
In the circle there seems to be an eagle perhaps on a branch?

A Knowles, Taylor & Knowles plate I think- made in the USA ??
The other side has several floral patterns
Plus a 4 * 3 inch  picture of two harness horses- Dan Patch and Cresceus.
 Both were owned by Marion Savage who also owned a famous fed company that was famous for his innovative advertising (International Stock Food Company). It’s still being collected today
 Dan Patch was perhaps one of America’s first superstars.
The image on the plate appears to be from the Allentown Fair in 1905.
That image was also used on postcards and perhaps in some ads.
From what I’ve seen (very limited) none of the other KT & K plates have pictures in the center. They all appear elegant or dainty while mine has this picture in the center. Is it possible it was added to the plate somehow??
Any thoughts on this
Sorry about the poor quality pictures of the other side of the plate!
Regards
Allan

mart

• View Profile
Re: Knowles Taylor & Knowles porcelain plate with Dan Patch picture
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2015, 04:25:00 am »
Can you feel an edge around the central pic ??  I admit that's an odd plate to have that type of picture on it !!
Yes, KT&K was made in East Liverpool, Ohio !!  I think this mark dates to the 1920`s !!
Pretty sure this was added later,, it is not at all centered with the plate !! KT&K would not have produced a less than excellent piece !!  Could have been done in a home kiln !!
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 05:29:37 am by mart »

peterpan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2015, 09:20:06 am »
Many thanks for taking the time to reply! The image in the center can not be felt by touch, if that helps.
You have a sharp eye, even with my poor quality pictures you noticed it is not centered perfectly!
I gather from your reply that it was possible to add to a plate even years ago.
Again thanks for your time
Regards
Allan

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2015, 12:19:23 pm »
I agree with Mart.  Never seen one with a picture like that.  Feel the owner added it and used the plate to display on a wall.

Interesting the amount of crazing on the piece.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2015, 12:33:27 pm »
Just because the plate was done years ago does not mean the pic was added at that time !! Back during the late 70`s and 80`s you would be surprised at what was done with old plates !! Home kilns and china painting was common and the thing to do if you were crafty !!  Even today you can get transfers that can be fired on and some things can be done in a home oven !!  You can take an old photo or a pic of any kind and have custom transfers made for this type thing !! I would bet that is how this pic wound up on this plate !!