Author Topic: English antique queen bed time period?  (Read 1751 times)

chloea

• View Profile
English antique queen bed time period?
« on: December 10, 2015, 08:09:21 pm »
Kia ora,

I am in New Zealand and helping a friend sell some antiques on an online auction site. They belonged to her mother in law and were purchased in England.

There is a queen sized mahogany bed with cast iron sides, we would love to know anything about it; most importantly how old it might be.

Does anybody have any knowledge they might be able to share?

Thanks and warmest regards,

Chloe
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 08:14:29 pm by chloea »

Pelady

• View Profile
Re: English antique queen bed time period?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2015, 09:21:31 pm »
Chloe's,

Are there any markings or manufacturers on the back of the head board or on the iron sides?

PeLady
Plymouth, America's Home Town.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2015, 11:53:03 pm »
What are the measurements of the Width x length?  Wonder if it is a true Queen size bed or a full.

Queen manufactured mattresses I believe came into being in the 1950's.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2015, 03:02:20 am »
True queen sized beds can be found back into Victorian times, but they were quite rare back then. Usually they're full sized.

This one looks to be 1910-1930. There's a strong craftsman influence as well as a bit of the early Deco. Very nice, and yes, I would guess that it's full rather than queen. I wonder if the iron side rails are original?
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

chloea

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2015, 03:30:06 am »
Thanks for your responses, I'll measure it and let you know. Can't see a makers mark. I'd say the iron sides are original. Ah, re. The double question, in New Zealand our bed sizes are different to the UK: a double here is slightly smaller than a queen and more old fashioned and less favorable. What you call a double, we call a queen. So what are call a double is just smaller than a UK double bed.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2015, 05:02:26 am »
Ghopper is correct !! I have seen similar beds with metal sides but not cast iron !!  Is it an angle iron frame or does it have the wider metal sides ??  No difference in style or time period,, just curious !!

chloea

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2015, 05:29:33 am »
Well then I shall endeavour to take some more pictures over the weekend, so you can see the sides. My friend said they're cast iron and I guess she would know because she had to move it in to the house - not an easy task!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2015, 06:17:14 am »
Take a pic of how the side pieces fit into the headboard too if you don`t mind !!

chloea

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2015, 03:09:24 pm »
Here they are :)

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2015, 07:21:00 pm »
Let me see if I am correct the side pieces have a metal bar that slides into a slot on the bracket attached to the headboard ??  If so I have seen one other made similarly but not nearly as heavy !! It was on a Mission style bed also from the UK !!  Odd thing here is the metal parts look to have had much more use than the headboard !!  These brackets and sideboards may have been custom made for someone who was very overweight !! My thinking is this particular headboard was not the original that started out with this bed frame !! Not a difficult thing to do to attach the brackets to a different headboard !!