Author Topic: laqeur inro, netsuke and ojime  (Read 2541 times)

awhitetriangle

• View Profile
laqeur inro, netsuke and ojime
« on: November 03, 2015, 05:42:55 am »
these three didn't come as a set but as they are related i thought i'd put them on one thread. nice and early i believe laqeur work inro with gilt insides, four part. a boxwood netsuke in the form of a cobra biting its tail, i found one similar online but its not signed, if anyone can identify the signature that would be good. and an ojime that appears to be a carved walnut shell?

cheers...

rink28

• View Profile
Re: laqeur inro, netsuke and ojime
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2015, 11:56:13 am »
here is one similiar to yours but the one listed online is more detailed than yours. yours is more plain. i say yours is roughly 100 tops if that since its not as detailed. https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/7568993_2-japanese-carved-wood-inro-with-ojime-and-netsuke

rink28

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2015, 11:57:50 am »
the link i sent you of the item is signed also look at all the pics on the link

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2015, 12:11:37 pm »
Nice pieces!

There are some exquisitely carved Inro Boxes, Netsuke and Ojime. 

FOR THOSE THAT AREN'T FAMILIAR WITH THESE, they were small boxes on cording to hold items (usually tobacco and more commonly were worn by men) because early clothing and Kimonos weren't made with pockets.  The boxes hung below the wide sash (obi).  The Netsuke (large bead) sat atop the sash (obi) with the cord running underneath.  The Netsuke would anchor the Inro so that it wouldn't fall.  Thus the more decorative the better.  The ojime, (a smaller bead) functions to secure the Inro Box, thus it slides up to open and down to secure/close the box.

The more exquisitely carved the more it reflected the wearers status, interests, etc.  The woods were dried for years and the boxes, carved and often lacquered.  Once finished, the higher end ones were water-tight!  A very highly skilled craft/art and ARE VERY COLLECTIBLE.  They have conventions and clubs.  Here's an older article to reflect the popularity of them http://articles.latimes.com/1991-10-19/entertainment/ca-488_1_pacific-asia-museum

Picture of man wearing Inro from Wikipedia

I now step down from the teaching podium!  :)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 12:23:13 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

rink28

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2015, 12:45:27 pm »
There collectible but the more demand ones are the ones WITH DETAILED CARVINGS instead of the plainer ones with less detail. FOR THOSE WHO ARENT FAMILIAR WITH THESE

rink28

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2015, 12:46:51 pm »
Look at the link I sent in one of the pictures it shows the bottom of the piece signed so you know

Mat

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2015, 02:12:49 pm »
Hi again, your lacquer inro looks ok, but the ojime is too dark on your photo to say anything. The carving with the holes is not am authentic Japanese netsuke, but new and carved somewhere else, likely in China. Rink28, the wooden inro and netsuke in your link are imitations, too.
Mat

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2015, 05:36:14 pm »
Thanks KC !!  Heavens,, I can`t even pronounce them much less know what they are !!

awhitetriangle

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2015, 05:31:40 am »
thanks everyone, sorry the pictures weren't the best if i nip into the studio today i'll take some better ones for you... just out of interest mat what makes you think the netsuke is repro? i've just found an identical one here which states its japanese and dates 1900-1940. there's quite a bit of discolouration to the front side suggesting its been in the daylight for some considerable time... what do you think of this one?

http://ancientpoint.com/inf/22662-good_netsuke_boxwood_cobra_biting_own_tail_amazing_detail_c20th_item.html

Mat

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2016, 03:26:31 am »
... just out of interest mat what makes you think the netsuke is repro? 

Sorry, I had not seen you question back then, but I see you have found the answer on the International Netsuke Society Forum meanwhile!
Mat