Author Topic: Bookends Prophets  (Read 4095 times)

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: Bookends Prophets
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2016, 08:00:30 pm »
The freebie items are called "Premiums"! 

Wow Mart. We rarely bought name brand items.  But we did get jelly in mugs.

I remember hand towels, dish cloths and wash cloths in the clothes detergent. 

S&H Green Stamps and True Value Stamps.

You can still get glasses with jelly but not the coolest ones like way back!  Even Kraft still sells cheese in the "juice size" glasses.

My mom gave these to me awhile back and says they were premiums when she was young:
and

(Note:  these are not actual pics of my items which are boxed up due to having wooden floors installed (they are in and will be hand scraped/stained in 2 weeks!  Borrowed from the wonderful internet!)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 08:05:29 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2016, 08:08:47 pm »

Last year people were paying up to $39.99 for an unopened Breeze or Duz box with a towel inside! 

If I remember correctly some even included dinnerware in a wheat pattern in the 60's!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2016, 08:44:14 am »
WE used those wash cloths and towels,, they were in a little cardboard box rolled up inside the detergent box !! Back then there were not as many brands to choose from !! 

Jlsherf

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2016, 04:33:54 pm »
I remember Mama getting towels and wash cloths in the  clothes detergent but I can't remember the brand.  I also remember helping mama "glue" S & H Greenstamps, Plaid, Go!d Bond and Top Value stamps into the books and going with her to the Greenstamps store to redeem her Greenstamps.  I always loved helping her with this!  One Christmas my sister and I got Little Debbie dolls she got through mail order by saving "box tops".  Also, right after my grandfather died, all three of us got spoons in the mail from him.  I was 4 when he died and I remember opening that package and loving my Yogi Bear spoon so much!  I think Mama said he got them from Cream of Wheat.?.  My spoon turned up missing when my kids were teenagers.  I found one on an Etsy shop and bought it!  Merchants and companies sure allowed people to be more thrifty back then.

KC I love your little creamers!!!  They are just too cute!

I love walking down memory lane!  Thanks for the chance to share!  😅
I should have been born in another era!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2016, 07:33:13 pm »
I wish they still gave the premiums !! They are the collectables of tomorrow !!  When I moved to this area from Mesquite the town only had 1200 people, one Piggly Wiggly, a few businesses around the square and the funeral home,,not much else !!  I think they rolled up the sidewalks at 7pm !! One night some of the local school kids stole the big green and white "We Give S&H Green Stamps" sign from the Piggly Wiggly and placed it in front of the funeral home !!  Caused a bit of talk in this small town !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2016, 07:50:52 pm »
The cost of funerals/burials these days it would be great if they gave stamps or Premiums!  or Buy 1 Get 1 Frees!  😏

Jlsherf

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2016, 08:03:50 pm »
Good story Mart!  Lol KC, that would be wonderful!
I should have been born in another era!