Author Topic: knife .. any value?  (Read 3276 times)

Pelady

• View Profile
knife .. any value?
« on: January 11, 2016, 09:31:09 am »
Hi,
Does this have any value or does the missing tip negate the value?  I think it is a pocket or ladies knife, made by Webster Bros. Germany.  The mark on the blades is an anchor under a five point star pierced by an arrow.  The handle does not appear to be bone or ivory feels more like a plastic. I think it could be from the 20's or 30's.

PeLady
Plymouth, America's Home Town.

mart

• View Profile
Re: knife .. any value?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2016, 06:59:14 am »
This brand was not listed in my knife book under brand names but haven`t checked the novelty knives yet !!  Handle may be celluloid or mother of pearl !!

awhitetriangle

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2016, 09:33:49 am »
we generally refer to them as fruit knives here in the uk, i've a few antique silver ones with mother of pearl handles in the collection. some of then can be quite elaborately decorated, these are more valuable. if you google antique fruit knife you will find lots! here a some of the nicer ones i have.

awhitetriangle

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2016, 09:40:33 am »
taken from another site:

The folding fruit knife is a unique type of item that was first developed in the late18th century and has  managed to survive quite nicely over the next three centuries. Crafted from several different type of  materials, the collectable folding fruit knives of today are often made from silver or mother of pearl. Both  sterling silver and mother of pearl have special qualities that make them more than just ordinary folding  fruit knives.

The history of the folding fruit knife is an interesting one as it has developed over the years to become a very common type of knife found in homes all over the world. This antique has evolved over the Edwardian, Georgian and Victorian ages to become a common part of households in England as well as in different parts of the globe.

The History of the Folding Fruit Knife

The folding fruit knife was developed from the folding penknife which had first been created around the late 17th and early 18th centuries. The penknife came in two different forms, the fixed and folding blade which gained favor among the general public in England where the knife was first developed.

The original purpose of the penknife was to trim the quills that were used for writing. Along with the relatively short 1 ˝” blade, the penknife was unique in that it had an odd spike at the end of the handle which was actually used to spit the quill itself when needed. Although people stopped writing with quills a long time ago, the penknife survives to this day in its folding version as it has a variety of uses.

It is the folding penknife that became the forerunner of the fruit knife that we see today. Although there is no exact record of when the first folding fruit knife came into existence, there is little doubt that it did develop from the folding penknife as they are roughly the same size and operate in a similar fashion.

Arguably some time after the development of the folding penknife, someone began using it to slice open  and carve up fruit.  Who that person was we have no idea, but it was a natural progression since the folding penknife was easy to hold in one hand to slice, carve and divide up many different types of fruits  with ease.

However, the citric acid of the fruit created pits and quickly wore down the standard steel and typical  metals that were used to make the penknife, so other materials such as mother of pearl and most  commonly silver had to be used.

By the late 18th century, the first folding fruit knives had been created as an exclusive item. At first, they were rather fancy knives that were fashionable items among the wealthy French aristocrats who insisted on more style and flare in these types of knives made for their families. In addition, they quickly became popular gifts as well and this type of knife soon became widespread around Europe and into England.

Why folding fruit knives became popular among the elite and aristocrats is actually somewhat obvious since they often had very bad teeth and found eating fruit difficult, especially apples and pears which had to be bitten into in order to consume. A folding fruit knife solved that problem as the fruit could easily be carved into small pieces.

Although the French developed the knife, it was in England where it really took off in terms of popularity. In places like London, Birmingham and especially Sheffield where a manufacturing plant was quickly developed and this particular folding fruit knife became quite popular. Why exactly the knife became such a big hit in England is hard to say, but it can be used for a  variety of purposes which makes it very versatile.

The knife itself is also known as a “slippie” which means it has a single-edge blade so when held in the hand it can be supported by the fingers on the back or flat side of the blade. There are also folding fruit knives with a “seed pick” as well so that the seeds can be quickly removed. Overall, the folding action of the knife is designed to be quick and smooth so that it can be handled normally.

As the knife took off in England, it spread to all the British colonies and into America as well, become a popular type of knife for its versatility. In recent years, the sterling silver and mother of pearl folding fruit knives have become collectors’ items, particularly those that were crafted in France in the late 18th century and the early ones from England as well.

The Importance of Sterling Silver & Mother of Pearl Folding Fruit Knives

The creation of sterling silver and mother of pearl for fruit knives were important because both materials were resistant to the citric acid that would eat away at many other materials in the knife itself. The fact that they could hold up against the acid that came from fruit meant two things. First, the knife would be passed from generation to generation in a family and second, they would be still intact many years later where their value might be considerable as collectors’ items.

In addition, silver has anti-microbial qualities which mean that bacteria are killed by the substances of the blade itself, making it rather hygienic in terms of use for slicing open fruit. Mother of Pearl is also found in folding fruit knives and gives it that extra bit of quality and flare which makes them valuable items as well, fetching good prices in the antique marketplace.

Interestingly enough, silver is not often used in knife blades because it is rather soft in nature. But sterlingsilver is very well suited for cutting into fruit and it can be used repeatedly in that function with little in the way of wear or dulling. As long as the knife is well maintained, it can last for a very long time.

Overall, the history and use of silver and mother of pearl folding fruit knives has entered the 21st century still holding its place as a popular and useful tool. Also, the older ones have become quite valuable as well, fetching good prices on the antique marketplace. For the collector, these types of knives can make for a good investment if the right research is completed. 

awhitetriangle

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2016, 09:55:05 am »

Pelady

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2016, 07:28:50 pm »
Thanks Awhitetriangle,

Lots of great information.  How can I tell of my knife is sterling?

PeLady

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2016, 07:41:38 pm »
Pelady;
Your little knife appears to be one made / sold by "Wester Bros.", who operated out of NYC.

..."Wester Bros.Cutlery Co." existed 1904-1967 in New York City.
 Charles and Max Wester were the owners.
 It was originally founded in 1891 as Jacoby & Wester.
 Wester Brothers was the sole importer of goods made by Wester & Butz of Solingen.
 The owner of Wester & Butz was August Wester, father of Charles and Max Wester...

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2016, 12:01:28 am »
Great Info Rauville.

Okay, here's my take.  Having family that has owned citrus groves for over 100 years the folding fruit knives that I have seen used by family/extended family/people in the grove industry and passed down/used in our neck of the world, that were considered fruit knives and not just a pocket knife, only have a blade at one end of the knife. I have also seen then with a pic/pick on the same end as the blade.  May be just what we have used here in the US?!

I then searched "folding fruit knife"  and "antique folding fruit knife" only saw ones with the blade at one end and/or with the pic as well.

I learned how to shoot, hunt, prune trees, do smudge pots, move irrigation, etc. in orange groves! Miss the smell of orange blossoms this time of year!!!!

« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 12:48:22 am by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2016, 06:59:48 am »
Looks like a little two blade ladies pen knife to me !!

Jlsherf

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2016, 09:49:21 am »
KC we have a small "grove" in our yard.  I too love the smell of the citrus blossoms!  We have 3 lemon trees, 3 grapefruit, 1 what I call a juice orange and 2 naval orange trees.  We lost the satsuma.  They are all loaded and in need of picking right now.  We also have an orange tree that is beautiful but the oranges are never any good.  Don't know why, maybe its a cross of an orange and lemon cuz the fruit is that sour!  Lol! 
I should have been born in another era!

Pelady

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2016, 01:57:43 pm »
Thanks Rauville,

I had found that info.  Just a typo or auto correct wester not Webster opps :-[ !
Yes, Mart, I was thinking it was a ladies pen knife also.  That was why I was asking how to tell if it was sterling. 
If it is a pen knife not a fruit knife, what value would it have?

PeLady

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2016, 07:11:30 pm »
So its Wester not Webster ??

Pelady

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2016, 09:39:54 pm »
Yes Wester Bros.