Author Topic: Brass candle holder help  (Read 2292 times)

Jlsherf

• View Profile
Brass candle holder help
« on: February 23, 2016, 05:31:45 pm »
This candle holder is beautiful!  Found at a garage sale a few weeks ago to benefit the local Audubon club here.  There is no mark on it and it had been donated by someone who was not at the sale to give any information on it.  I found a few that have sold but none were this quality.  I have done a little research on brass and believe this piece to be carved brass.  I am trying to determine the approximate age and value but am coming up blank.  I didn't get a picture of the bottom but I can tell you it is not screwed together like newer brass pieces.  Sure hope someone can help with this.
I should have been born in another era!

Jlsherf

• View Profile
Re: Brass candle holder help
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2016, 05:34:31 pm »
Two more pics.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2016, 07:16:09 pm »
I have never heard of carved brass !!  The mold into which it is poured can be though !!

Jlsherf

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2016, 08:39:10 pm »
That is what I thought too Mart so is that what they mean when they call it carved brass.  I saw where there are villages in India where there are people who are "still doing carved brass work".  So my first reaction was the molds were carved.  Now I am going to have to go back and find that site and read it again.  I still have seen many listings for carved brass items.  So this does mean the mold has been carved?  I get so confused on things like this.  Like I've said before, I have never claimed to know about these things but just have a great love for them!  Lol!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2016, 06:45:03 am »
I betcha that iffen you look real close like ……. You will surely find that the different pieces have been soldered together.

If it is a "new" piece ...... then the pieces could very well be epoxied together .... which would be tougher to see.

Jlsherf

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2016, 07:10:34 am »
Yes Cogar, you are correct!  The base is easily seen that it is soldered to the piece.  I assume in quality pieces that this is still done but would you say this piece is at least 20 years old?  My sister has bought it for resale as vintage.

KevinM

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2016, 07:09:21 pm »
This piece reminds me a little of the work done by Virginia Metalcrafters who made a lot of good quality household brass items during the mid-century.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2016, 05:51:39 am »

Jlsherf

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2016, 08:27:03 am »
Kevin, thanks!  I will look into that maker.  Mart,  thanks for the link.  Maybe something new has popped up since I looked!