Author Topic: Help with mark on hammered aluminum  (Read 2759 times)

Jlsherf

• View Profile
Help with mark on hammered aluminum
« on: February 09, 2016, 08:21:41 am »
My sister has this on her shop for sale.  I was looking at the picture of the mark which is inside the ice bucket on the metal under the glass insert.  The only part I could read looked like THERMAL but right above it appears to be WARN but I am not certain.  Above that appears to be a signature.  Below thermal there appears to be something else but can not make it out at all.  I am posting here in hopes someone can read what this says.  Also is anyone a collector of hammered aluminum and know where I might get info on who made this.  I have looked at makers marks and have yet to find this one.  I also have not been able to find another ice bucket with a lid that looks like this one or opens like this one.  The lid is not on a hinge.  I am totally stumped!  I love hammered aluminum and at one time had a nice little collection of Rodney Kent and Wendall August Forge.  I know its not valuable but I have just always loved it!  Any help is greatly appreciated!
I should have been born in another era!

fancypants

• View Profile
Re: Help with mark on hammered aluminum
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2016, 07:25:22 pm »
Can't really see the mark clearly , due to what looks like a reflection in the pic , Jlsherf .

Perhaps (since it's a pretty durable item) you might try a little rubbing with tracing paper & pencil , or even maybe a little (non-polished) dark shoe polish to disclose the letters/marks a bit more for another photo ?
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2016, 04:40:25 am »
I can`t see it clearly either !! Try an outside in daylight pic and a bit closer !!

Jlsherf

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2016, 10:24:13 am »
Fancypants and Mart, I can't believe I didn't notice this in the original pic!  There is a reflection and why I haven't been able to make it out either!  I will try the pencil tracing next time I'm at my sister's house.  That and get another pic in natural light.  I have searched through so many of these and found only one so far that has a hinged lid.  This one isn't hinged.  Thanks for the tips.  I will try soon and let you know what I find.

Jlsherf

• View Profile
UPDATED!! Re: Help with mark on hammered aluminum
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2016, 05:17:13 pm »
Here is a new picture of the mark on the inside of this aluminum ice bucket.  Sure hope someone can tell me who is his was made by!  Its driving me nuts, lol!  I can't find another one just like it to help me at all.  Thanks in advance!

Pelady

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2016, 05:33:27 pm »
Jlsherf,

To my eyes it looks like the word  Warm above Thermal and Cold under it.  Have you tried doing a paper rubbing over the marks to see if they show up better.  Some people sprinkle a dark power to make factory marks easier to read.

PeLady
Plymouth, America's Home Town.

Jlsherf

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2016, 05:43:36 pm »
I was afraid that's all it said!  I tried the paper rubbing but couldn't make it out.  I sure was hoping there was something there I wasn't seeing.  Lol!  I just am trying to find out the maker.  I use to collect some hammered aluminum but the ones I loved were always marked by the maker as in Rodney Kent, Everlast, etc...  I just can not believe I can't find another one.  Do you know if there is a forum for collectors.  I know its not valuable but I told my sister she should find out the maker so she could put it on her listing.  She said she had tried to find it so I decided I would try.  Lol!  I guess her listing will stay as is!  Thanks Pelady for confirming what I was not wanting to hear.  Lol! 

Jlsherf

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2016, 05:47:35 pm »
BTW Pelady, check out my post on Antique Talk, funny Craigslist ads.  Its unbelievable!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2016, 07:48:04 pm »
http://www.ebay.com/bhp/aluminum-ice-bucket

There are various types of hammered aluminum ice buckets with attached lids !!

Jlsherf

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2016, 09:00:47 pm »
Thanks Mart for the link.  I went through them all, like I have many other times but I still can't find one just like this one.  I did notice that a lot of the attached lid ice buckets are made in Italy.  They were said to be marked on the bottom "Italy".  This one isn't.  I guess this is must one of those that will forever have me stumped.  I enlarged the pic again and it seems to me that there is some other wording there.  I'm going to try the pencil rubbing again.  Thanks so much!