Author Topic: Cobalt blue and red Japanese small plate Imari?  (Read 1283 times)

agreeneyes

• View Profile
Cobalt blue and red Japanese small plate Imari?
« on: March 13, 2016, 03:02:09 pm »
This is a smaller plate or saucer approximately 6 1/4" round.  Is this possibly Imari pottery?  It has beautiful fine detail but the gold leaf is crudely painted in some areas.  I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the figure on the plate is.  I thought it might be a clown, but not sure.  Also wondering what the designs in the center and on the bottom of the plate are and if they have any meaning.  I'm not an expert but I have done some research and found that this style of painting with the cobalt blue and red is sometimes referred to as Imari.  Would you also be able to date this, I thought from the style it might be older.  Thank you

mart

• View Profile
Re: Cobalt blue and red Japanese small plate Imari?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2016, 08:00:35 pm »
When you say Imari  its basically the same as saying Capodimonte or Limoges !!  All are areas known for a particular type/style porcelain !! Imari is a port city in Japan !! The porcelain factories in the area produced some unique and popular patterns for export to the U.S and other countries !! Soon everything from that area became known as Imari sometimes with the factory name,, sometimes not !!
It is in that style but I do not see the quality of the major factories !!  Could be a newer look-a-like !! Get others opinions !! I am no Imari expert !!

Mat

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2016, 04:22:36 am »
Hi, it looks like Imari. As mart said, Imari is a port in Japan. As originally these wares were shipped from that port, they took it΄s name, but actually they were produced in around the town of Arita. There were and are many kilns that produce a wide range of quality, so without a mark it is impossible to find the maker. To me it looks like the middle ornament was printed. This occurs on some pieces from the late 19th century on. Yours has indeed a not so old overall appearance, but it is difficult to decide somtimes... As to the "clowns", I would think they represent dutchmen, wo are sometimes depicted on imari as they were the only foreigners that were allowed to trade with old Japan for a period of nearly 200 years...
Mat

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2016, 05:20:12 am »
Thanks Mat,, did not know about the Dutch traders !!  I wondered about that figure !!