Author Topic: Any Tips on Bringing an Antique Metal Filing Cabinet Back to Life?  (Read 1757 times)

roomage

• View Profile
Hey, I've just started setting up a small office and am now focusing on a filing cabinet to go with the desk and chair etc that I already have. I'm going for the antique look and I've seen some cool pictures of old antique metal filing cabinets that have been jazzed up and bought back to life giving a real vintage appeal. I was wondering two things really, does anyone know where I might be able to find an antique metal filing cabinet and also, are there any cool tips on how to treat/paint the metal to get that vintage look without it looking like a lump of rust?

mart

• View Profile
Re: Any Tips on Bringing an Antique Metal Filing Cabinet Back to Life?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2016, 02:49:41 pm »
Can you post a couple of links to the ones that you liked ?? And welcome to the forum !! Glad to see you going for the antique look in your office !! What type of desk do you have ??

Pelady

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2016, 03:56:20 pm »
Hi Roomage,

Where do you live?  How old are you looking for?  1940s, 1950s etc.?  Are you Looking for a specific color?  Are you looking for multiples or one, Four draw or two draw?  I know people that used white vinegar to stabilize rust.  After it dries, lightly buff off flakes.  Some then use a clear coat to keep from further rusting.  The paint comes in spray or brush on with shines or matte finishes.

PeLady
« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 04:27:21 pm by Pelady »
Plymouth, America's Home Town.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2016, 04:30:48 pm »
Here's a few links for suggestions (because I have cabinets we have used some of the techniques)

Brushed Metal Look
http://maisondepax.porch.com/2013/08/how-to-give-metal-brushed-steel-look.html
Vintage Patina Look
http://maisondepax.porch.com/2013/08/how-to-give-metal-rich-vintage-patina.html

Painted Look with extras
http://www.trucsetbricolages.com/decoration/retaper-un-vieux-classeur-pour-moins-de-20/

Stripped Metal look from stripping the paint off the cabinet!
http://littlegreennotebook.blogspot.com/2009/05/stripping-metal.html
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

roomage

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2016, 03:54:56 am »
Sorry Pelady, should have given a little more info and mentioned that I am living in the Republic of Ireland. I just wanted a filing cabinet that was old and vintage so anything kind of pre-1970's I suppose. I'd rather get something with a bit of character and bring it back to life than just buying a naff looking new one. Plus, I've taken an antique approach with the rest of my office so wanted to have a matching theme. The rest is predominantly wood but I think a metal filing cabinet would go quite nicely if treated the right way. I actually ended up buying a set this morning from www.for-sale.ie/antique-filing-cabinet. They are due in the next two days so I'll add a picture once they've arrived. The design is very similar to the picture I've just added so there are quite a lot of draws to clean-up and de-rust. The cabinet I've bought isn't as rusty though as the one in the picture and is slightly brighter in colour. I'm wondering whether I can achieve that dark brushed metal look like the one KC posted a link to. The top picture in the blog looks really cool and would blend nicely with the dark wood already in my office. The main component being a Victorian mahogany Partners desk.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 03:56:41 am by roomage »

roomage

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2016, 01:40:35 am »
I've been a bit unwell so haven't had chance to start the project. Will hopefully start next week so can let you know how it goes.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2016, 07:34:44 am »
Sorry you have not been well !!  Looking forward to seeing this project !!