Author Topic: Mystery Tool  (Read 2321 times)

mxyplqx

• View Profile
Mystery Tool
« on: April 16, 2016, 09:10:35 am »
OK. You asked for it. I no longer have this in my possession (back in the barn) so these pics are it. There is no ID on it. 

The single inner jaw is 1/16 shorter than the double outer jaw.  Note that both jaws curve the same way. The one handle can rotate all the way around so the jaws line up slightly differently.

The inner single jaw is 1/4" thick. The  double outer jaw is 1" wide (2 - 1/4" thick jaws)with about 3/8+" between them. It is 18-1/4" long.

Suggestrions that have been proposed:

Chain link spreasder - I tried but no way. 

Model T tire changing tool for breaking the tire from the rim. Well I've changed big truck tires and wagon tires and seriosly doubt it. How could you get that jaw under the bead? You can't. Also the jaws are too thin - they'd damage the bead.  Gotta use a tire hammer with a broad blade (there I go with that word blade again).

cogar

• View Profile
Re: Mystery Tool
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2016, 11:28:43 am »
Maybe it was used for "crimping" heavy gauge stove pipe.  ;D ;D

Here is a modern light gauge "crimping" tool

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2016, 02:55:43 pm »
Perhaps a 'home-style' version of a metal-banding (crimping) tool , or one used for repair/reassembly of old leather P.T.O. belts ?

Truth of the matter , I can't see clearly the details of your cool little tool , mxyplqx ....
« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 02:58:22 pm by fancypants »
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2016, 03:22:17 pm »
It almost appears as a crude version of a farrier's nail clincher.  If so, I can't imagine it working very well?

http://www.farriersdepot.com/clinchers.aspx

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2016, 06:07:10 pm »
Rauville if you scroll down on that page you linked to there is an almost identical one from the UK !!

mxyplqx

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2016, 09:26:55 am »
Well that certainly is the closest thing so far. I Googled >Antique Farrier Clinchers< but didn’t get the exact same thing.  I do have these questions:

1. The catalog you referenced refers to them variously as horse clinchers, regular horse clinchers, draft horse clinchers, saddle horse clinchers, low nail clinchers etc etc. If you don’t mind my asking just what the h*ll do they clinch?

2. How and for what is it used?

3. All the ones shown have 2 opposing single jaws while “mine” has one single jaw opposing a split jaw. Why would that be?

4. Do you think “mine” is probably very old and perhaps a one off unit made by a village blacksmith?

Now to answer my own questions. I watched a couple horse clinching vids and:

1. Different size horses hoofs require different size clinchers.

2. It bends over the shoe nail nubs locking them in place and must take a purchase under the hoof/shoe and above the nail nub.

3. All clinchers I could see had relatively broad jaws presumably to decrease local pressure and make snagging the nail nub easier.
The split jaw here is because this tool is not a commercially made item but is  homemade and this was a practicable way to make it.

4. Yes

Finally I do believe it is indeed a “horse” clincher and we have nailed it.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2016, 10:20:45 am »
#1,, nails in a horses shoe
#2 When a horse is shod the shoe is nailed on through the hoof, the nails are clinched, cut and bent at the sharp end (top side) so they do not come out. A farriers hammer usually finishes the job so it is flat and smooth against the hoof.
#3 the nails are cut off and flattened so anything that would do that would work. There are several styles of clinchers.
#4 could be.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2016, 10:55:04 am »
LOL  If anyone could answer those questions quickly/knowledgeably it is/was Mart.  She is a Southern/Texas gal!!!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2016, 02:57:48 pm »
LOL  If anyone could answer those questions quickly/knowledgeably it is/was Mart.  She is a Southern/Texas gal!!!

Who owns six of those hay burners !!