Author Topic: Help with table ID  (Read 3221 times)

Jillybean

• View Profile
Help with table ID
« on: April 18, 2016, 01:11:25 pm »
Hi everyone,
I'm trying to find out more about this table (it belonged to my great-grandmother). I think it is Asian. It's 34" diameter and about 26" high. It has five legs. The wood has been bleached by the sun. The center is a piece of solid wood. It needs some repair and I'm wondering if I should try to repair some of the ornate trim that broke or just remove the broken pieces and use it as-is.

I'm curious about age, style, wood, etc. Thanks everyone!

cogar

• View Profile
Re: Help with table ID
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2016, 01:34:26 pm »
If it's 34" diameter ....... then my guess is that the center oval is veneer and the outer edge is solid wood.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2016, 01:49:12 pm »
Can you take a pic in good light of the underside of the table top !!  I can see the seams where the outer rim was constructed !!  I would say you are probably right that it is an import !!  From where ???  Who knows !!  Where is it broken ??

Jillybean

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2016, 02:56:27 pm »
Here are some more photos. There are 10 pieces of carved trim; two pieces are attached  to each of the five legs (one on each side of the leg). Five pieces of trim are broken and/or missing. Also, one of the legs has a crack/fracture. I'm debating whether to repair the fracture and use it "as is," or have some new wood carvings made to match what is missing. The table has also been bleached by the sun.   

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2016, 05:37:19 pm »
As far as the sun bleached wood,, a couple of coats of Old English scratch cover will fix that !!  I bet that to have the carvings re-made would cost more than the table is worth !!  If I were to guess I would say its a 1970`s or so import !!  If it were me and the table did not look too out of balance I would just polish it up and use it as-is !!  Would be good if you could find the broken pieces and just repair it !!

Jillybean

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2016, 06:08:18 pm »
It's definitely from before 1970s because on the bottom it has one of my great grandmother's names on it and she died before then. One woodworker quoted me $800 for replacing the carving. I sent photos to another for a quote. The table is very heavy (my husband and uncle had to carry it together).

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2016, 07:33:05 pm »
Could be older !!  But not much !!  No way would I pay $800. to have it repaired unless you just want to keep it for an heirloom to be handed down further !!  Not knocking the table but the carving is not that good,,and  has little detail !!  Look around further !!
Unless there is something I am missing,, the table if in good condition would not bring $800. !!  But get others opinions here !!

Jillybean

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2016, 08:35:36 pm »
Thanks, Mart. I'm not interested in selling it. I plan to use it in my living room. I might fix it the fracture in the leg and leave the carvings "as is." It will go in a corner where you can't see the broken carvings. $800 is actually pretty reasonable for restoration of a table in San Francisco. Everything is expensive here. Babysitters charge $25 an hour!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2016, 06:09:28 am »
Yes,, I guess things are more expensive where you are !!  If you can find a sign shop with computerized equipment it could be done for half that price or less !!  We had a friend with it and he could reproduce anything !!  He did many things for Ducks Unlimited and other groups !!  Took only about a half hour to carve an eagle !!  That computerized saw/or whatever, was amazing to watch !!

Jlsherf

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2016, 11:34:59 am »
I was watching a home renovation show the other day.  They were missing a piece of the door molding.  They were restoring the house and wanted to keep it as original looking as possible.  After searching in vain for the pieces, they decided to make them from a diy mold.  Here is a quick google search of many diy step x step instructions.  I bet you or someone you know could do this to replace hose broken and missing pieces.  Then it wouldn't have to stay in a corner.  There is even a toutorial on how to match the wood stain.  I would keep the table too no matter how you decide to go.  Very cool piece!
https://www.google.com/search?sclient=tablet-gws&site=&source=hp&q=How+to+make+a+mold+to+make+a+replica+of+wood+moldings&oq=How+to+make+a+mold+to+make+a+replica+of+wood+moldings&gs_l=tablet-gws.12...6532.52953.0.54025.54.51.0.3.3.0.369.4812.42j7j1j1.51.0....0...1c.1j4.64.tablet-gws..0.34.3275.0.jwJaA-VNRnI
I should have been born in another era!

Jillybean

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2016, 04:37:55 pm »
Thank you Jlsherf. I'll check out the link and see what I can do. I really like the table in my living room. Mart, I'll try the Old English too. I also found an "old world" jack of all trades and I'll see what he might charge.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2016, 05:50:53 pm »
Excellent !!  Let us know how it goes !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2016, 09:15:21 am »
I like that you are going to keep family pieces in the family! Interesting mix of woods.  Looks "modern" to me in style (60's to 70's).

I, like you, would inquire how much to repair/replace pieces.  If too costly then use as is knowning that it has become this way over time from love/use by the family.

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!