Author Topic: Decoy or Ornament  (Read 1464 times)

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
Decoy or Ornament
« on: May 12, 2016, 11:08:02 am »
This is a painted Brant which is a small goose that is common along the east coast certain times of the year. It is painted on a 1/4 inch flat board and has a metal stand that is twice as long as the picture. It would be stuck in the ground. The bird swivels where it is connected. It is approximately 19 inches from beak to tail. When I found it at a local barn sale I thought it was some kind of lawn ornament. The woman who sold it to me said it was a flat decoy and the swivel was so it would move when staked in shallow water. I have seen decoys called flatties, but they are always smoothly shaped rather than being cut from a flat board.
What do you all think about what it is and if it has any value. Thanks

Rauville

• View Profile
Re: Decoy or Ornament
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2016, 12:12:33 pm »
Hi Frogpatch;
I would call that a "Silhouette / Shadow Decoy". Pretty common out here in the Midwest. I've came across just the head and neck with an attached stake. They would turn over a piece of sod for the goose body, and stick the head up for a field decoy.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2016, 02:19:56 pm »
https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&rlz=1C1SKPC_enUS366US455&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=canada+goose+flat+decoy

Some here look like they are made similar for Canada geese !!  These are mostly new but there is one you can see says they are from the 50`s !!  They swivel so they always face into the wind !!  Have not found the Brandt yet !!  Been digging potatoes so have not had time yet !!

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2016, 06:06:18 pm »
Thanks Rauville and Mart. This one shows a lot of age. 50s would be a good guess. Come to NJ and you can have all the Canada Geese you want. We have millions of them on every playground, ball field, farm field or golf course. Sometimes I see a thousand of them in one place. They are dirty and can be very aggressive. They do not leave in the winter unless the snow is really bad. Then they fly to the closest place without snow and return when it melts. Not a popular bird in this state. They never go near hunting areas either. 

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2016, 07:08:42 am »
No thanks Frogpatch !!  I do not even like them cooked !!  Did catch a snow goose once !!  He rested up and continued with his migration !!  Trust me,, you do not want to PO a goose !!  Experience speaking here !!

Check your email !!  I tried to send one or two from that darn phone !!  Will have hubby`s gmail address !!  Don`t know how to work the thing yet !!   Hate it !!
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 07:11:24 am by mart »