Author Topic: Ming Dynasty ?? Has anyone ever seen anything like this ?? Obvious fake !!  (Read 2759 times)

mart

• View Profile

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Just from the pictures they have posted it appears to be a bad fake!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
Totally agree !!  Have you seen that mark before ?? Two of the characters I have never seen before !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
I have looked through old/new/repro etc and haven't found them anywhere I have looked.

Artistic expression?!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
Neither have I !!  Artistic Expression ??  They need to go back to art school !! Or at least learn something about the era !!

mart

• View Profile
Bumping this up !!  Maybe get a few more opinions !!

Mat

• View Profile
It could be a Japanese piece, earlier Japanese pieces imitated Ming cloisonne and had Ming marks sometimes. I am not familiar enough with these pieces to be sure if your vase is such a piece.

mart

• View Profile
Its the mark that so throws me and the crudeness of the work itself !! Many of the fakers think that the early pieces were crudely made and as time went on they became more finely done!!  When the opposite is what is true !! 

Mat

• View Profile
You are right, but early Japanese cloisonne (1860s) was also quite crude and used ming period patterns and marks, so I think it would be worth looking in that direction, too... There was a good website about identifying Japanese and Chinese cloisonne, but unfortunately it seems to be gone...

mart

• View Profile
Do you remember the name ??  Gotheborg ??

Mat

• View Profile
No, it was idcloisonne.com , but it doesn't exist any more, and on the Internet Archive I cannot see it any more, too.

mart

• View Profile
Oh !!  Darn,, that would have been helpful !!

Mat

• View Profile
If I was the owner, I would try posting it here: http://www.asianart.com/phpforum/index.php . There is one person on that forum who knows a lot about cloisonne, mainly Chinese. However, it is always possible that a post is overseen by the right person in that forum and a lot of questions remain unanswered....

Mat

• View Profile
Just found the mark on that forum: http://www.asianart.com/phpforum/index.php?method=detailAll&Id=94240 , described also "false Ming mark, reading Dai Min, Japanese, ca. 1860-75"

mart

• View Profile
Thank you so much Mat !!  Will post a link to this thread so they can read all replies !!  Lord knows Ming Dynasty is not my area !!