Author Topic: help identifying dinning room set  (Read 1067 times)

Brontolo

• View Profile
help identifying dinning room set
« on: July 06, 2016, 09:40:54 am »
Hello, I am a new member and hoping for some help identifying a dining room set in my mother in laws apartement in Italy. My mother in law has recently passed and we need to clear out the apartement. This dining room set looks to be well made, and nice quality but I don't know the manufacturer and it will take some time to empty out the cabinets. We are debating what to do with this furniture, no one in the family wants it. These were purchased by my father in law about 60 years ago. I've included images of two tags I could find on the furniture but I suspect one is the store that sold it and the other is just a delivery or moving tag. The table seats six and has the matching charis, the mirrored buffet is 7 or 8 feet long and the hutch is 6 feet wide and 6 feet tall.  The top on the table and the mirrored buffet appears to glass with a Marble like design Painted on the back.
Photos on photobucket: http://s349.photobucket.com/user/Lasinello/library/Furniture?sort=3&page=1

Thanks in advance.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: help identifying dinning room set
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2016, 11:02:07 am »
Nice looking set!  Need to have a few more questions answered to help you out.

The Fratelli Strada (Strada Brothers) is a tag for the store in Lombardy Northern Italy and states they sell furniture and furnishings. 

Is the top to the table real marble or a vinyl veneer/formica?
Where are you located? (Makes a big difference in value)
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2016, 12:38:17 pm »
Beautiful Italian craftsmanship! Even in the age of modernist "clean lines" they were able to work in some nice decortive parquetry.

Unfortunately, in the American midwest the Age of the Dining Set is over. Most Duncan Phyfe-type sets, beautifully made and of solid mahogany, will only fetch a couple hundred dollars at best, no matter how much they cost to begin with.

Your set is definitely a cut above but even so, I wouldn't plan on retiring with the sale proceeds.
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2016, 09:19:07 pm »
Very nice set !!  Is anything written underneath on the metal extensions Or does it have a leaf ??  The mid century design would help the sale considerably !!