Author Topic: Japanese Woodblock Prints  (Read 2011 times)

debc

• View Profile
Japanese Woodblock Prints
« on: July 08, 2016, 07:41:01 pm »
I have two Japanese woodblock prints that I think may be originals.  I removed one from the frame and it is signed by both the artist and the Art House or whatever it is.
One is titled Hollyhocks and the other Iris.
I found them under Hodo-Takemura on the internet.  I believe the artist is Hodo Nishimura and Takemura Hideo is the Publisher from what I can gather.
Any more info on these?  Any idea of value?
Thanks !!
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 07:43:19 pm by debc »

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: Japanese Woodblock Prints
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2016, 10:45:12 am »
I think these pics are beautiful.

My parents have traveled to Japan extensively and they said that you will find pictures like this sold abundantly across Japan.  (I know we have several they have given us from trips.)  So, unless they are made by a famous Japanese artist you will not retire on their value.

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

debc

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2016, 05:12:20 pm »
These two are fairly old and I am wondering if they are originals.  From what I have read the originals of these look a lot like the ones I have, with the pencil drawing and the paint not quite matching up etc. if anyone can understand what I am so poorly trying to say.  In any event I have them because I think they are beautiful, very nice artwork for a bedroom I think.

Ipcress

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2016, 10:40:47 pm »
They look ok but from what I can see, their value is significantly less than their beauty !
« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 10:49:39 pm by Ipcress »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2016, 07:23:49 am »
There would be no publisher if they were originals !!  Just the artist signature !!  Publishers are for reproducing copies of the originals !!

Mat

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2016, 07:30:24 am »
Mart, I do not think the publisher's seal is a sign of a copy in Japanese woodblock prints!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2016, 01:15:26 pm »
 Really, ??  Explain please Mat !!  If an art work is done by an artist,, it is an original !!  Why is a publisher needed ?? 

Mat

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2016, 02:26:48 pm »
I will explain tomorrow whai I mean, sorry, too tired right now! Mat

Mat

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2016, 02:35:35 am »
Here is a good site that explains what is considered an "original" Japanese woodblock print: http://viewingjapaneseprints.net/texts/topictexts/faq/faq_original.html . Generally that site is full of great information on that subject. Generally said, in the production of a Japanese woodblock print there are involved many persons. The "artist" that made a scetch. Then the cutter of the blocks, who was not identical with the artist. And also the publisher. He was the one who owned the blocks and published the prints. So normally you can find the signature of the artist AND the publisher's seal. Most often there is also the seal of a censor, who had to approve the print before it could be published. The signature of the artist is always in the blocks and not handwritten.
You can find a handwritten signature on some 20th century prints that were made for a western public. Also it was not before the 20th c that some artist's started making the whole process on their own, from the first scetch over cutting the blocks to publishing.
Mat

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2016, 04:47:35 am »
Oh !!  Thanks Mat !!  Very different from how they are done here !!  Interesting,,learned something new !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2016, 07:45:00 am »
Well written article Mat!  Thanks for sharing it!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!