Author Topic: Santos Preserve Us!  (Read 1108 times)

ghopper1924

• View Profile
Santos Preserve Us!
« on: July 18, 2016, 05:27:47 pm »
This is a santo (santos?), carved in the Philippines when it was under Spanish rule. In fact, the appraiser said it was carved long before Spanish rule was over and is 200-300 years old. I'm guessing that the wood is either fruitwood or mahogany; it's quite lightweight but strong. It seems to have never been painted, and the surface is coarse, almost "sandy." From his crown and kneeling attitude, I think he is one of the 3 wise men, although I've never seen a wise man carrying a scroll. Could it be St. Andrew? Anyway, it's rather large at 10 inches tall by 6 1/2 inches wide at the widest. The carving seems quite accomplished to me.

This came from the collection of a judge in a small(ish) county seat in Missouri. Reports are that he had it for the past 35 years before his untimely passing.

So, what are your thoughts on value?

« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 05:29:47 pm by ghopper1924 »
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

mart

• View Profile
Re: Santos Preserve Us!
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2016, 05:42:21 am »
http://www.carters.com.au/index.cfm/index/5280-saint-and-santos-figures/

Mmm,, that description of the wood sounds like cypress and looks like it !!  Mahogany and fruitwood, to a lesser extent, are both dense heavy wood with fruitwood slightly lighter weight than mahogany when dry !!  The "sandy surface" also make  me think about cypress if there is no finish on it !! As it ages it will get the same feel !!

What criteria did the appraiser use to determine origin ?? Or was there any documentation with it ??

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2016, 06:58:58 am »
Right, "fruitwood" (apple, cherry, pear, persimmon, etc.) are all "tight" grained heavy wood.

And it is surely not made of teak.

So, as Mart said, its probably cypress.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2016, 09:50:50 am »
The shape and the protrusion on the bottom of the back  looks like someone carved a cypress knee !!

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2016, 12:58:53 pm »
Thanks for the info you two. It could very well be Cypress. It is not native to the Philippines, but has been introduced there.  Another possibility would be trees from the Albizia genus, which are native to the islands and are used in carving and furniture making. Definitely not a heavy wood, so its good to know that fruitwoods and mahogany are out.

I don't know where the appraiser got his information, but I imagine that institutionalized family knowledge had something to do with it. I know he was brought in to make sure that it was in fact as old as it was purported to be, and his answer was that it was probably older.

BTW, great link, Mart.

Any ideas on value?  Since it is rather large and 200-300 years old and in good shape, I'm leaning toward $400-$500.  The only detractors are splits in the wood and wormholes, both of which kind of enhance it for me. The carving definitely shows experience and nuance, though the whole piece appears to be "rough" in more ways than one.

But what do I know? The real question is, what do YOU know? :)

-Broderick Crawford

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2016, 01:08:51 pm »
Another possibility is Santol fruit wood, which is not really found in the western hemisphere. It sounds like a good match, except for the weight.

"The sapwood is gray, merging into the heartwood which is reddish-brown when dry, imparting the color to water. It is fairly hard, moderately heavy, close-grained and polishes well, but is not always of good quality. It is not durable in contact with moisture and is subject to borers. However, it is plentiful, easy to saw and work, and accordingly popular. If carefully seasoned, it can be employed for house-posts, interior construction, light-framing, barrels, cabinetwork, boats, carts, sandals, butcher's blocks, household utensils and carvings. When burned, the wood emits an aromatic scent."

And no, I'm not going to catch it on fire to see if it smells good.

-Broderick Crawford

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2016, 07:46:02 pm »
OK Ghopper you know I am forever the skeptic !!  I do not see anything remotely Philippine about it !!  Everything looks European to me !!  And yes I looked at a few !!  My opinion on your Santo is French Colonial, early 1700`s and likely made in southern Louisiana during the French rule there !!  The reason is has that rough feel is that it was never finished !! Perhaps the carver got caught in the Yellow Fever epidemic during that time !!  As to value,, if it is Philippine around $200. ( there are many of those) !!  Slightly more with my story !!  Take your pick !!  :)

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2016, 06:53:05 am »
A cogent and consistent point of view. Well done! Whether its the Philippines or Louisiana I'll put your argument in my back pocket and save it. A point for you!!

-Broderick Crawford