Author Topic: two birds with one stone  (Read 6615 times)

sugarcube5419

• View Profile
Re: two birds with one stone
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2016, 04:27:40 pm »
KC-how weird is this-I picked up this "fork" at goodwill just this week.  Is this a pie fork?  When I tried to look it up on ebay I thought it was a "fish" fork?

sugarcube5419

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2016, 04:28:25 pm »
closer pic

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2016, 11:16:39 pm »
First of all....run, don't walk....before you get hooked on silverware!  :)

Cute little piece!!!

First glance (without knowing size and maker) I would say that you have a dessert or pastry fork.  This style is reminiscent of the 4" to 5" pastry forks that are common in English flatware.

Typically a formal fish fork is over 5 1/2" and up to 7 1/2" in length, has 4 tines and doesn't need a strengthened tine because you would have a fish knife!  The fish forks that you do see with a widened tine have a notch/groove on the end so that you can hold on to the bones.

Pelady, silverplate pie forks only.  Over the years I have picked up minimum of 4 matching to 12 matching pieces at a time - in order to try and make 6 piece or 12 piece place settings.  I have a few 12 piece sets of sterling as well (Most purchased for asking prices that were a good investment such as $60 for 12 and could easily sell for the forks at $100+ EACH.)
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 11:31:19 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2016, 11:35:03 pm »
FYI, I like helping people out that have their items listed wrongly (especially when it will benefit them.)

Perfect example, when looking for pie forks I came across this odd looking fellow that someone had listed as a pie fork - but it isn't!  It isn't very common at all and worth alot more than a pie fork!  Anyone want to take a guess what it is?
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2016, 06:15:52 am »
A "butter" knife, ...... maybe? ::)

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2016, 10:09:19 am »
Nope, but good try cogar!  Anyone else?

sugarcube5419

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2016, 12:39:49 pm »
another dish to wash KC!  Wild stab-mushroom utensil?

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2016, 10:29:47 pm »
Nope.  When I originally saw one years ago I thought it was for cheese - but was wrong.  Too bad I didn't buy the set of 6 for the price of $45.

It is a Melon Fork!  (Those Victorians had a utensil for every food - for real!)
FYI for the prices these go for
https://www.antiquecupboard.com/PatternsByPiece.asp?piecename=Melon+Fork
https://new.liveauctioneers.com/item/10261996_silver-melon-forks-touronbrevete
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Elegant-Antique-French-12pc-Cake-or-Melon-Fork-Set-Carved-Handles-Orig-Box-/301647496744
Here's a modern day stainless steel version for a whole lot less!
https://www.amazon.com/Melon-Cutter-Fork-Multipurpose-iGenietti/dp/B00VXNUQ5M
« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 11:42:47 pm by KC »

sugarcube5419

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2016, 11:11:54 am »
just have to tease=would that be a watermelon, muskmelon or any melon in particular?  God forbid on melon utensil touch another dish!

again=interesting kc

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2016, 12:04:32 am »
LOL  I know they sure helped people keep jobs back then making utensils for everything!

Any kind of melon as a matter of fact!

AND....if you ever come across one nab it if it is a good price.  You will also need to distinguish if it is a melon fork or the RARER Corn Fork/Slitter which looks a bit different in the tine area.  (Etiquipedia Photo)  This is a great site by the way for a glimpse into etiquette!
"An 1899 corn slitter or scraper, a 1921 corn fork, designed with one slightly sharper edge and tines, to not only scrape the corn off of the fork, but to eat the corn as well, and a 1925 patented "Ear Corn Server.""  etiquipedia.com
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 08:23:03 am by KC »

sugarcube5419

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2016, 07:48:13 am »
very cool kc-

so corn holders had their own cases?  is one piece to shuck the corn off while the other piece is holding the top of the corn?

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2016, 02:03:07 pm »
Yep, the corn ears even had their own cases/holders to keep them warm until eaten!  However, just corn cob dishes have survived that period and are commonly seen in glass or porcelain.

The piece on the left was used to grip the corn while cutting the kernels off the cob. 

This site is amazing for information about some of the older pieces and function in "proper" society.  (However note that I have never seen a site that could handle the vast
http://etiquipedia.blogspot.com/2014/07/etiquette-for-eating-corn-on-cob.html

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2016, 04:11:56 pm »
No way could you eat corn with that fork !! The kernels would slide right off !!  And using the tines would make  a dinner last until the next day !!  Did the Victorians know what those corn kernels do when you try to cut them off ??  They bounce in every direction except where you want them to go !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2016, 04:45:21 pm »
Mart, I knew that would get your attention!
I would be mighty skinny if I tried to eat with that fork...on second thought...maybe I should! Like eating soup with a work!