Author Topic: Need help dating Japanese porcelain  (Read 1431 times)

ssf2

• View Profile
Need help dating Japanese porcelain
« on: July 30, 2016, 05:45:27 pm »
I have a small, individual or decorative-sized teapot with a plate. It appears to have 2 marks, one that says Noritake Nippon, the other is the RC Nippon mark. From what I have found so far, it appears to be somewhere between 1911 and 1921, but I am confused by the 2 marks. The decoration appears to be hand painted and not a transfer. It has a lot of dimension. There are a few stray pinkish brush marks.
Does anyone have thoughts? I suppose it could be a reproduction, but I don't know how to determine that.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 05:49:01 pm by ssf2 »

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: Need help dating Japanese porcelain
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2016, 06:14:52 pm »
From first glance this looks like a creamer.  What is the size of it?

Typically the first mark was put on blank wares (from what I have read over the years).  The mark RC stands for Royal Crockery which started being used in 1911.  Just another trademark that they used for their beautiful handpainted wares. 
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

ssf2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2016, 06:08:09 am »
It is about 3.75 inches across, without the handle, and about the same height with the lid. I never thought of a creamer, since it has a lid, but that would maybe explain the plate underneath? The plate seems the correct size for the pot to sit on so I think it is a set. I thought maybe it was made for export as a decorative item.
When were things stamped Noritake Nippon in this plain font? All I can find is the mark with the wreath.
If it was a blank that was then decorated, which would have been the first mark? And do you know how long they used this RC mark? I could only find the 1911 start date online.
Thanks for the help!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2016, 07:09:26 am »
http://www.chinafinders.com.au/histnoritake.asp

Are  both marks under the glaze ??  Your RC mark dates this to between 1911 and about 1914 !!  They used many marks and variations of them !!

ssf2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2016, 10:17:19 am »
Both marks appear to be under the glaze.
I just found online that the Noritake mark was the one they used on their undecorated pieces starting in 1911. So I guess that answers that question!
Now, what does anyone think about it being a tea pot or a covered creamer?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 10:21:40 am by ssf2 »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2016, 02:09:22 pm »
Due to the small size I would say a creamer !!  But,, you never really know about some of these things !!  Yours is in the moriage style with the raised beading !!  Can`t tell if other areas are raised !!  https://www.etsy.com/listing/254812062/noritake-rc-nippon-hand-painted-creamer?ref=market   Here is one similar but no underplate !!  I am wondering if the plate goes  with the creamer or to another piece !!

« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 02:18:28 pm by mart »

ssf2

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2016, 02:35:59 pm »
The flower outlines are raised slightly, in addition to the gold dots.

The plate seems to be the correct size for the pot. The center of the plate is just slightly depressed (like on a saucer)and the pot fits nicely inside the depression without too much extra room.
I am starting to lean towards a creamer. The shape of the spout, kind of vertical and starting at the top, seems to be more creamer-like than teapot-like.

Then again, it could have been made for the decorative market and the addition of a plate was to enhance the display? Or it could be  coincidence that the plate fits the pot and is just another part of a lost set.

Thanks to everyone for all the information on this site. I have really learned a lot lately!
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 02:38:25 pm by ssf2 »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2016, 03:06:32 pm »
Well,, I have not found another creamer with an underplate but if it fits,, !!  Maybe it does belong with it  !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2016, 04:15:46 pm »
There are lots of them Mart.  Just search "Nippon creamer with lid and underplate".
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2016, 06:57:03 pm »
That is what I searched for !!  Saw some that said underplate but when I looked it was creamer only !! I am sure they made many things I have not found or seen yet !!   With or without its still a nice set !!