Author Topic: Drawing in old German book  (Read 1847 times)

gerspee

• View Profile
Drawing in old German book
« on: July 31, 2016, 07:14:28 am »
Own this book and there's a comical drawing on the first page made by ?  Now I think it could be by George Grosz maybe ? Who is able to help me further with this drawing  ;D

ghopper1924

• View Profile
Re: Drawing in old German book
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2016, 07:48:28 am »
This is a later text of  an 1867 novel by Belgian author Charles De Coster. It's based on the 14th century Low German figure Till Eulenspiegel, and Coster's novel recounts the allegorical adventures as those of a Flemish prankster Thyl Ulenspiegel during the Reformation wars in the Netherlands.

The artwork does not look like any George Grosz work I've seen, but it does look like the work of a professional cartoonist and the subject matter appears to be political and satirical. The idiosyncrasies of the script make it hard to translate, but obviously Grosz's name does not appear

Here's a link to MOMA's collection of Grosz drawings:

http://www.moma.org/collection/artists/2374?=undefined&page=1&direction=

I think you'll notice that his drawings tend to be busy, with a flattened, sometimes cubist internal space.

However, if you have access to a modern art museum it would be interesting to find out more about your artist.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 07:54:09 am by ghopper1924 »
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

Mat

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2016, 08:33:06 am »
The title of the drawing reads "Weihnachtsfreude in Gelsenkirchen 1928", "Christmas fun in Gelsenkirchen 1928". So likely the artist was there in 1928. The name on top is Mariechen, "little Mary". I do not think this is by a professional artist, rather a talented amateur.
Mat

gerspee

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2016, 10:09:53 am »
There's some similarities in drawings by  Grosz like in the curly hair and the way the hands are done on some off his drawings same for the seat there on . The handwriting looks like him but also like the handwriting off his friend Bruno Schonlank  . The have made a book together in 1920 with poets by Schonlank and drawings by Grosz so maybe Grosz made the drawing and Schonlank the text ? And was the book given to a mutual friend in Gelsenkirchen ?

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2016, 12:19:03 pm »
Whether you think the cartoon is by a professional or not, I think it would be informative to get the opinion of an expert at your nearest modern art museum.

-Broderick Crawford

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2016, 02:02:37 pm »
Agree with ghopper1924!  This most likely needs a "hands on" and "up-close" inspection!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

gerspee

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2016, 01:17:10 am »
Think your right and now to find a expert who is able to tell me more . But not easy to find I think here in the Netherlands  :-\

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2016, 05:37:26 am »
Alasdair Nichol from Antiques Road Show appraised a Grosz drawing on TV:

http://freemansauction.com/

He/they might have a contact in The Netherlands.

-Broderick Crawford

gerspee

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2016, 11:48:13 am »
Thanks and I will contact them