Author Topic: Any ideas on date for this mark?  (Read 834 times)

ssf2

• View Profile
Any ideas on date for this mark?
« on: August 10, 2016, 11:55:16 am »
I have some bouillon cups that are marked with the stamp in the photo. It has both 'Nippon' and 'Made in Japan'.  I couldn't find this one anywhere online. The saucers are marked with a similar mark but without the 'Made in Japan.'
Any ideas on dates for this? Is it perhaps a transitional mark?
 I figure somewhere around the 1920's, the design looks art deco to me. Could it also be late 1910s? Tried to get a good shot of that, I apologize if it is fuzzy. The colors in the design are black, yellow and gold.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: Any ideas on date for this mark?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2016, 02:15:39 pm »
Here is some more information on the Noritake Morimura Brothers marks.
http://gotheborg.com/marks/noritake.shtml

Used 1921 to 1940.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 02:35:52 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

ssf2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2016, 06:38:08 pm »
My mark lacks the 'hand painted', which is on all of the wreath marks. I am thinking after 1920, due to the 'Made in Japan'. Thought maybe they kept the Nippon for a few years during the transition? Up to maybe 1941?

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2016, 07:09:24 pm »
You can find all sorts of variations in that mark !!  Its one of the most common marks !!  The individual sites usually have the main ones used over the years !!  There are over 300 documented marks and variations of them !!  Just find the one yours is closest to !!  The "Hand Painted" or not is not relevant to the mark itself !!  Some had it,, some didn`t !!   Some had Nippon,,some had Made in Japan some had both,,all within the same time frame !!