Author Topic: Vintage Marble Coffee Table  (Read 1204 times)

Eis2120

• View Profile
Vintage Marble Coffee Table
« on: August 23, 2016, 02:44:37 pm »
I bought this (notably eccentric) vintage coffee table online and it arrived today. The table was advertised as a a "solid marble top" which it looked to be from the photos. When I got it today I found the stone top is actually laid out in strips with a wood backing. Is this common? the surface feels lighter/cheaper than I expected.

It is apparently from the 1950s and has been in storage for a long time; good condition. That said, I paid close to $300 with the expectation that I could sell it again if I couldn't make it work in my living room. So I'm interested in the opinions of people on this forum. I have 24 hours to return if "solid marble top" is fact a misrepresentation.

Thanks!

ghopper1924

• View Profile
Re: Vintage Marble Coffee Table
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2016, 05:47:37 pm »
Marble should be in one piece, heavy, and cool to the touch. This may be cultured marble, which is artificial, or some other material. It it's lightweight and room temperature or warm to the touch then it's not marble. I've never heard of this method of attaching strips to a backing.

I don't believe you'll sell this for more than $300. I would return it.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 05:53:16 pm by ghopper1924 »
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2016, 06:40:31 pm »
When you say "solid" that indicates one single solid piece !!  This looks like it was put together with odd bits and pieces of leftover marble or cultured marble !!  Did they indicate the mfr that made the table ??

Eis2120

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2016, 09:16:15 am »
No manf that I can find. It looks to be handmade. I'm probably going to send it back as it just feels a lot cheaper than expected. Thanks for the help!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2016, 09:52:10 am »
That is what I would recommend !!

jacon4

• collector/ student of early american furniture
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2016, 12:01:25 pm »
Yeah, i am going with mart & ghopper on this one, return if you can!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2016, 07:39:55 pm »
This is a pieced top and not what is considered a "solid" top even though it may be solid.

Although nice looking, I do not believe you would even get $180 for it in my neck of the woods on a good day.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!