Author Topic: Antique or just an old sofa ?  (Read 1925 times)

CaroTry

• View Profile
Antique or just an old sofa ?
« on: September 10, 2016, 12:55:21 am »
Hello,

As I stated in my presentation... I don't know much about antiques. I recently bought a sofa from a man who was emptying his grandmother's house. All I know about it is that it is absolutely certain that it is older than 100 years old *Well, the man told me they had it in the family for that long, was he lying I don't know*. The fabric has been changed (It was 2 shades of red before) a long time ago. I could go further in my pictures if someone tells me that it might be worth to examine it.

If it is just an old sofa, can someone tell me about the style it is supposed to mimic and other things please ?

Thank you in advance !

« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 12:59:20 am by CaroTry »

mart

• View Profile
Re: Antique or just an old sofa ?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2016, 05:00:47 am »
While the style is similar to the Nouveau styles of the 1920`s late Victorian Revival,, the same styles were also reproduced in the 1940`s and 50`s !!  No way to tell except in the construction methods and materials as it was originally !!  Would that make  a difference in the value,,no !!  These styles usually run in the $350. to $500. range if in good condition !! Older does not always mean more value !!  So just enjoy it !!
Another note,,I had that same little French Provincial coffee table at one time  !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2016, 10:04:26 am »
Agree with Mart.

They still make reproductions. 

I do believe yours is an older piece.  Can you please post a close up of the feet and any areas that the wood sections have a seam?
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

CaroTry

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2016, 11:05:29 am »
Thank you for replying so fast guys. I am just very curious about it.

Here's some pictures I took this morning.

CaroTry

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2016, 11:06:05 am »
Sorry for this, there was two more pictures I wanted you guys to see.

Thanks !

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2016, 11:28:07 am »
It does show some shrinking of the joints which is consistant with an older sofa !!  And those feet were not typically used with the later reproductions !!  Can not say for sure because there were too many mfrs that made repro`s,,can`t say for all of them !!  My impression would be 1920`s or there about !!

CaroTry

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2016, 11:31:29 am »
I see. Well according to the last owner, which didn't know more than I do, I guess he was correct about it's age. I wanted to put a name on it's style and also age, and more information if possible. See, I live in Canada, Québec City which is the french speaking province and this sofa seemed to be from the Area if I believe what the guy told me. I sure am glad to also know about it's value even if I am not going to sell it. Would it be a smart move to have it repaired though ? I kind of like the way it looks now hehe !

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2016, 11:46:46 am »
Unless something is seriously wrong,, and it does not look like it is,,I would leave it alone !! If you want to freshen up the wood just use some Old English dark oil/ scratch cover !!  Just be careful to not get it on the upholstery as it will stain !! But it will hide all the little scuffs and scratches and shine up the wood !! Just use like a polish and wipe off any excess !!
It does look like the dust cover on the bottom may need tacking back on but you can do that as well !!
You may be surprised at how good it looks after that !!

CaroTry

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2016, 11:52:37 am »
Thanks a lot, I will leave it alone, it has charm and it gives the room a specific smell that I love. I probably will just tack what's hanging under it, using one of the old nails that is already under it and reuse the same hole.

Oh and thanks for telling me that the coffee table is french provincial, I didn't know that either, the guy gave it to me for free when I bought the sofa !

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2016, 12:08:50 pm »
 Coffee table looks nice with the sofa !! I used mine for several years !!