Author Topic: Porcelain Cameo Brooch (France Princess Elisabeth?)  (Read 1684 times)

DANTE5

• View Profile
Porcelain Cameo Brooch (France Princess Elisabeth?)
« on: September 17, 2016, 07:28:54 pm »
Hello guys,

Without knowing the provenance of this lovely brooch. I am going with 19th century "Hand Painted" gold filled or 9kt gold porcelain cameo of Princess Elisabeth of France. No visible maker mark.  I found it at a thrift store in North Georgia (USA).  Measuring approximately 2 2/8" X 1 1/2".  Great condition some scratching.  I have a strong desire to remove the back of brooch in search of a marking.  I fear I could damage it though by doing so.
It does not appear to be a reproduction, seems authentic with dating it to the 19th century.  Please look at photos and let me know what you think.  I believe it could be a cameo of Princess Elisabeth. Your comments on brooch is welcomed. Any ideas on removing the back?

mart

• View Profile
Re: Porcelain Cameo Brooch (France Princess Elisabeth?)
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2016, 07:53:30 pm »
Pretty sure it isn`t her !!  Different facial features !!  Don`t know who it is,,but its a nice piece !!  Try taking it to a jeweler rather than removing the back yourself !! They would be less likely to cause damage !!

DANTE5

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2016, 08:11:15 pm »
Mart...Great advise.  I consider myself to be a skilled craftsman, but I think you are right.  Let an expert assist in removing the back.  Too pretty of a piece with great overall condition to destroy.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2016, 09:35:32 pm »
I really doubt you will find anything inside the brooch...but you can try.  The questions to ask is if it is painted on porcelain or ivory, etc...

This is very reminiscent of Victorian brooches.  They porcelain painted pieces were many times portraits!

If you don't already know these are good articles:
http://www.morninggloryantiques.com/collectportrait.html

http://www.vam.ac.uk/content/articles/h/a-history-of-the-portrait-miniature/

« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 09:41:49 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

DANTE5

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2016, 09:52:06 am »
KC...I should have mentioned that it could possibly be ivory.  I have a porcelain portrait brooch (pictured below). Another reason I wanted to remove the back of the encased one to help determine if it's porcelain of ivory.

DANTE5

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2016, 09:56:35 am »
KC....Thanks for the resource information!!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2016, 12:44:10 am »
It could also be shell! 

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!