Author Topic: Japanese Metal Pot  (Read 997 times)

Lisa1980

• View Profile
Japanese Metal Pot
« on: September 25, 2016, 05:21:02 am »
Hi I have what looks like Japanese pot/vase. It has intricate detailing, etched with gold (I think). One side shows a landscape and the other side shows some birds. The pot has two sets of symbols, letters, one on the bottom and one on the side. The metal could be copper? Can anyone help me identify this pot? Thank you

mart

• View Profile
Re: Japanese Metal Pot
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2016, 01:49:40 pm »
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=champleve+etched+brass+pot&_osacat=37940&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xchampleve+brass+pot.TRS0&_nkw=champleve+brass+pot&_sacat=37940

Your pot/vase appears to have been made after WWll for the western market !! You can find pots/vases similar to this from the very elaborate to the more simple patterns like yours !! Champleve is the method of etching  around a pattern to create a border, or to etch the entire pattern thus making it lower that the surrounding area !!  Then the design is filled with enamel and fired !!  And yes,, they did have gold enamel !! 

Sometimes you can find the entire brass item lacquered and the pattern etched through the lacquer to expose the brass underneath !! Slightly different technique but similar look !!

Then there is cloisonne where the border is created with tiny gold wire and then is filled with enamel !!
The link above shows a few more elaborate designs !!

Hope this helps !!

Zerosnepil

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2016, 09:27:05 pm »
I understand what you have to offer or say, and I think it's good.

ssf2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2016, 05:18:56 am »
Try this site for a possible interpretation of the marks. They seem to have been able to help some other people.
http://www.asianart.com/phpforum/