Author Topic: Redoute Prints  (Read 2970 times)

kdj

• View Profile
Redoute Prints
« on: October 24, 2016, 06:31:49 pm »
Hello!
I have a few P.J. Redoute prints. I am asking about the ones that are different from all others I have. Most have only Redoute’s name across the bottom along with the name of the flower.

Questions about the set with the light blue border (not a mat )
 What is the age of these prints surrounded by the blue color. Looks to be a thinner paper. Print size is 11 ¼ x 8 ¼.
Also, Redoute’s name is on the left, and another name on the right. Why are there two names on this set of Redoute prints? Is Bessin on the Asters print and Langlois on the Anemone print, the artists that painted a Redoute floral? Who is the artist?

The other set, smaller (has not been cleaned), has a diagonal signature and published by the Sandler Co. The signature looks like ink. Although it is easily assumed the signature is part of the print, I would like to verify whether it is or not. The two diagonal signatures are not precisely identical.  Finding  print histories of publishers would be interesting.     Those are 12 by 9 inches.
I will attach the number of pictures allowed and add others to follow. If I can.
Thanks for your help!

kdj

• View Profile
Re: Redoute Prints
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2016, 06:35:34 pm »
adding pictures...

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2016, 04:21:56 am »
http://www.philaprintshop.com/redoute.html

This should answer your question on Langlois and Bessin,, they were the lithographer/engraver that applied the stipple technique to the copper plate !!

https://www.bergbook.com/htdocs/Pierre_Joseph_Redoute.htm

More info !!

Most are done the same as the first two prints and that name is just part of the print done by the engraver,,, looks like the bottom prints were copied from originals with the signature !!  As printing is done from the copper plate the plate actually wears and some plates are re-done before printing others !!  So the darker more distinct signatures are likely earlier in the process than the one at the bottom that shows a less distinct signature !!  As to the paper,, generally the thinner paper would indicate a more modern print but still needs a hand on !!  Need to have someone knowledgable with antique prints to look at them !!  Fairly decent prices on his prints !!
His work is in the public domain !!
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 04:44:57 am by mart »

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2016, 05:14:41 am »
Good work Mart. A point for you!
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2016, 07:11:10 am »
LOL !!  Bless you Ghopper !!

kdj

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2016, 08:49:24 pm »
Thanks Mart! Great links!
I need to contact someone in the Minneapolis area that would be willing to see/appraise a lot of vintage and antique prints. Sadly, I can not afford the listed appraisers unless I am willing to pay their high price. Any suggestions?  I also need to find an auction house. Has anyone gone this route? If so, what have your experiences been?
Thanks!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2016, 08:20:13 am »
I would not do that at all !!  Appraisals would cost more than most prints are worth !!  As far as the Redoute prints try an art gallery first !!  Find out exactly what you have !!  Some are knowledgable about antique prints !! Just a few phone calls to ask !! There are some people who specialize in antique prints so check for those people within your driving area !!  Google can be quite helpful !!  As to the other prints you have,, run the title/artist/publisher name on google and see how many pop up and do not pay attention to anything that says "rare" !!  Thats just a common selling tactic for those than do not know better !!  And do post anything here that we can help research !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2016, 12:24:32 pm »
Great advice!  Agree that appraisals many times cost people more than the item is worth.  Ask around first.  :)
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2016, 01:38:48 pm »
http://www.antiqueprintclub.com/Products/Heritage-Editions/Botanicals-Fruit/Redoute-Anemone-simple-Anemone-simplex-botanical-p.aspx

This is the same print just check the size and see if it is the same as yours !! Most all prints will be about the same 13 X 10 !!

http://www.rhsprints.co.uk/image/443165/redoute-pierre-joseph-1759-1840-artist-aster-de-chine-aster-chinensis

Could only find price on this one in British pounds !!

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2016, 02:05:38 pm »
Right now that would be $24.40.
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2016, 02:36:05 pm »
I will take your word for it Ghopper !!   The prints with the signature I would take to a good gallery and get their opinion !!

kdj

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2016, 05:28:40 pm »
Thank you for the great advice!
Frustratingly, I don't know how old my prints are. I see reproductions on several sites and those "newer" prints don't reflect what an old print is worth. That said - the new print may be more desirable since it would not have the yellowing or age spots - I don't know.
Mine do show age - one set more than the other. Guess it would take the right collector to be interested.

Thank you for the offer to ask here for approximate values! And I will! Some you may have seen. Since I did not feel on line prices were good in the past,  I kept them and who knows? Maybe value has gone up on some!
Thank you!