Author Topic: Candy Dish or???? Glass,Lead, Crystal?? No clue what I have!  (Read 1629 times)

kathyp1039

• View Profile
Candy Dish or???? Glass,Lead, Crystal?? No clue what I have!
« on: November 29, 2016, 10:14:54 am »
All I know for sure is this was my aunts from her china cupboard, and most all of her things are dating to at least the 60's. I'm not sure if this is a candy dish or not? And what it is made from? Its pretty heavy. Very beautiful though, no handle on the lid. Has a bunch of holes that go the whole way through to the bottom of lid-except the middle hole. Any one have any clues? I've tried googling but can't think of right words to use for the unique lid! Thanks in advance!

kathyp1039

• View Profile
Re: Candy Dish or???? Glass,Lead, Crystal?? No clue what I have!
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2016, 10:48:34 am »
Wow a vase???? Glad I asked I thought it was a weird candy dish!!! Thank you!!!!

kathyp1039

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2016, 11:07:22 am »
Is there some way I can figure out what it is made out of? Glass or lead or something else?

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2016, 11:22:57 am »
If it's Hughes Cornflower then it's high quality Canadian glass, and if it's from the 1920s it probably has a high lead content.  Lead added weight and positive refractory qualities to the glass. Lead was used much less after it's deleterious health qualities became known later in the century.

"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

kathyp1039

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2016, 12:04:39 pm »
Its not a cornflower pattern on it-I really need to get a better pic of the etching on it-almost looks like wheat?

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2016, 02:11:48 pm »
Yep it is a flower vase - however, this style is commonly known as a bud vase .  The slits in the lid make it a floral "frog" to stick the stems through!  These were also used for potpourri to scent the rooms.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 02:25:56 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2016, 02:52:03 pm »
He posted that link so you would know what its used for !!  Yours is not the same pattern from what I can see !!